cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tracey2

Dutch Bread Stuffing/Filling

Our birds in Amish country don't need fancy things walnuts, apples, water chestnuts, or oysters. They're simple birds and bread will do just fine for stuffing

1 bag soft bread cubes - or I suppose about 1/2-1 loaf day old bread cubed
4 tbsp butter/margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1 c milk with 1 egg beaten in it
1 c warm water with a pinch of saffron added to it for color
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter and saute the onion until tender over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to mix the butter. Add the water mixture and then the milk mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. You don't want this too hot or the egg will start to cook. Mix this well until the cubes are all saturated. The most important thing with this bread stuffing is to mix it well that you don't recognize the cubes. Cool and stuff your bird.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
debbie53

You know, I've never stuffed a bird. We southerners do cornbread dressing! I'm going to try this one though. It sounds easy and really good. Is it a chicken I stuff or a turkey, or does it matter?
0 Kudos
tracey2

I could answer that in soooo many ways with what you could do with that stuffing, but I'm practicing control (it goes with the quit) so I have to say any bird will do. 🙂
0 Kudos
debbie53

ROFLMAO!!!! Your cute!!!!
0 Kudos
tracey2

They tell me I'm more than just a pretty face!!
0 Kudos
david-hibling

Sounds great Tracy!!!! I love making home made stuffing and bread is always the basis for it - I tend not to pre cook the stuffing just blend all the ingredients in a blender twice the second time adding the beaten egg - and I throw anything into my stuffing mixes - any left over cooked vegetables, but especially I love adding fruit - chopped apples or some raisens or dried apricots and at Christmas for the turkey dried prunes and a little brandy!!!! the herbs sage and thyme are good for chicken stuffing
0 Kudos