cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

cris3

Forgetful

Hey everyone I am on week 3 quit, or 4 on Chantix. I am to the point where I am forgetting to take my medication. I have 2.5 more packs of Chantix dose 2 left. My question is do you all think it is about time for me to quit medication? And how did you stop the med.
Maybe I am to the point were I am feeling fine enough were I dont need it anymore? Before I knew I needed it at 5am and 3pm, now I just go on about my day.
What do you think?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
noyb

I went thru the very same thing, and if my memory serves right, around the same time period. I went 5 days without taking my meds at one point. But, I hit a life-stresser and suddenly wanted to have a cigarette. Stronger than anything I had experienced since starting the Chantix program. So I went back to my twice daily doses, almost right to the end of the 12 weeks. The last 2 weeks I only did 1 pill a day. After talking to my doctor about it!!!

Honestly, Cris, we are not the people to tell you what to do about a prescribed medication. The doctor who gave you the 'script is the one. I learned long ago never to tell people what to do about something I know nothing about. At the very best, I can relate what happened to me and maybe make a suggestion.

What do I think? I think y'all should go talk to the doc. Then make a decision....

0 Kudos
mlynne

Good advice from Robb. Today is my first day of cutting back to one pill (without Dr. consult) and I'll see how that goes. I'm a little farther along in my quit (54 days), and I know I wasn't ready to give it up when I was at Week 3. But everyone is different. Some don't need it after a month, others need to stay on several months.
0 Kudos
kristen14

My morning pill was making me so sick that I cut down to 1 pill a day at night at about week 3 on the meds. I just stopped taking it completely 3 days ago (Smoke free for 48 days) and so far so good! I think that everyone is different and you may be able to just "be done" like I did. Of course Bob is right in a perfect world we all consult our Dr's before doing anything but I think YOU are the only one that REALLY Knows what YOU need. So my advise...keep the pills around and if you have refills left get them too. Try it for a couple days and see how you feel. If you are OK then there is your answer! If not you have the pills to fall back on!
Good luck and let us know what you decide 😉
0 Kudos
lynne4

Everyone is different and you really need to look at where you are with your quit. I took Chantix for 5 weeks, had some side effects and got off it (after consulting the pharmacist if I needed to cut back or just go off completely - which I did). I had some additional side effects for about a week or so, but so far so good. You need to make sure you know your triggers, what made you smoke and understand and replace so that you can stay strong in difficult situations. If you think you have all of that covered and have done your homework and educated yourself, you might be fine. Good luck!
0 Kudos