cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

cris3

Hi Im New

Hi everyone I am new here. I was on Chantix and when the doc started to wean me off I relapsed. This time I have had enough! I am tired of depending on something to help me. I am going cold turkey! I think in the long run this will be best for me... I do believe after the withdrawals are over I can claim they really are over. I can tell you with Chantix in "my case" as soon as the wean process began I felt as if I was back to square one.
Well, in any case I am glad to be here I made it through 24 hours because of a promise I made on this website. I do hope to make it through another 24!
Cris

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jenn-c

Hi Cris - 24 hours is great! I did cold turkey also (day 18 today) and it has worked for me. The first couple of days were hard but after that it really is a matter of staying strong, visiting this site often, and knowing you can do this. Good luck!
0 Kudos
cris3

Thanks. & Congrats on your 18 Days! I think i am living on this site right now. LOL
0 Kudos
kellie3

Cris,
Congrats on your decision. I am a big fan of cold turkey. It is my opinion that it is the "more humane" way to quit. The other ways seem to string you along with false security then rip the rug out from under you. The gum and patches to me just delay and extend the withdrawl process.
I like pulling the bandage off quickly. LOL

I wish you and everyone else begininng the cold turkey journey the best of luck. If I can help holler at me.
( 111 days smoke free)
0 Kudos
debbie_

Welcome Cris!
I am working on 30 Days today for me!
Cold Turkey is the hardest but it's the cheapest way to quit! I prefer cold turkey then anything else because I wanted all that nicotine out of my body. You are doing Great!!! You are already almost at the 72 hour mark and once you are there the nicodemon is out of your system!!
0 Kudos
angie5

YOU CAN DO IT! I AM A CAREER QUITTER, I KNOW FOR ME COLD TURKEY IS THE ONLY WAY! OTHERWISE IT'S JUST PROLONGING THE AGONY IN MY OPINION. SOME PEOPLE MAY BE ABLE TO USE ALL OF THOSE AIDS AND BE SUCCESSFUL BUT I CANNOT, I WON'T EVEN TRY TO FOOL MYSELF. COLD TURKEY IS BEST, HURTS FAST, HEALS FAST.
0 Kudos
rj_

All right, another convert, trust me, it is worth it, I am gonna attach a PDF from Joel, it list lots of Great Information on cold turkey quitting, I found his site the second day of an uneducated quit, here I am a little over two years later, clean, calm and trying to encourage others, Education + determination = success. In my view.

RJ - Free and Healing for Two Years, Eleven Days, 6 Hours and 56 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 103 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 29692 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $6,123.20.
0 Kudos