cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

COPD, FRIGHTENING BUT CAN BE MANAGEABLE

DID YOU EVER THINK WHEN DIAGNOSED WITH COPD IT COULD BE THIS SERIOUS, I AM SCARED TO DEATH BUT WAS not 5 YEARS AGO WHEN THEY SAID I HAVE ASTHMA AND EMPHYSEMEA, I JUST COULDN'T GET MY MIND AROUND THE BIG E WORK SINCE I HAD ARDS ACUTE RESPITORY DISTRESS SYNDROME AND WAS ON LIFE SUPPORT FOR 26 DAYS I BLAMED IT ON THAT "DENIAL" BIG TIME- SMOKING GAVE ME THE "E" WORD AND ARDS DIDN'T HELP IT ANY BECAUSE THE DOCTOR EXPLAINED WHEN THE PUT ME ON 100% OXYGEN THEY COULD not AREATE ALL MY LUNGS SO THAT KILLED MORE AVELIOI THE LITTLE HAIRS THAT KEEP OUR LUNGS CLEAN, SO I AM A DOUBLE DIPPER SMOKING AND ARDS, HOW DO I GET RID IF THIS FEAR I HAVE NEVER BEEN FRIGTENED BEFORE NOW WHAT HAS CHANGED DID I FINALLY COME OUT OF DENIAL AFTER 5 YEARS AND REALIZE COPD IS TWO OF THREE THING CHRONIC BRONCHITIS, ASTHMA AND EMPHYSENEA, WHAT PART OF THAT DID I NOT GET WAS I IN A DREAM WORLD, WELL I AM AWAKE NOW AND I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF IT AND NOT SMOKING IS THE FIRST STEP AND EXCERCING IS SECOND, I GOT TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE BODY I WENT TO A ENT GUY YESETERDAY AND HE LOOKED IN MY THROAT AND IT IS THRASHED FROM BEING INTUBATED FOR SO LONG SO I HAVE THROAT PROBALEMS ALSO, I AM NOT WHINING JUST FACING UP TO REALITY 'finally" thanks you all for being here i couldn't do this or have these thoughts with you guys you give me hope faith and i know i will make it thanks you all so much bobbie
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Hi Bobbie, My pulmonologist showed me a model of a lung today. One side was a healthy lung, the other side was a lung with all sorts of diseases. Some were cancer, emphysema was one of them, bronchitis, black lung, and pneumonia. She also showed me pictures of real lungs that had diseases. It was a very informative rehab session today and I really enjoyed it. She also talked about the alveoli, and she talked about cilia. It is the cilia that are the little tiny hairs that sweep out the bad stuff. And she also said that when we smoke, cilia get damaged, but when we quit, they start to reform and come back and start to do their job again. So that is one part of the lung that WILL get better for us. It was because the cilia were damaged that we experienced the smokers cough, and once we quit smoking, and the cilia started coming back the cough went away.

Just keep on the quit train and I'm sure you'll find that you'll be feeling better and better as time goes by. I have problems with my thyroid as well as having COPD. But as the time goes by and I get more involved with Rehab, I'm feeling better and better myself.
0 Kudos