cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

BIG QUESTION

HERE I AM 13 Days not smoking and my craving for drugs is coming back big time- anyone having that problem, i am scared and don't know how to handle it, seems like my self discipline is take a week off, HELP my copd couldn't take a relapse so this is it for me but don't want to trade one addiction for another i won't go back to prescription drugs that is for sure but any suggestions on how to put the gorrilla back in hell. bobbie
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Hi Bobbie, you are still very new into your quit. You need to realize that the nicotene is still in your system. The majority of it leaves in 72 hours, but not all of it. I learned in my Rehab today, that it can take up to 30 days for the nicotene to completely leave our bodies, and that is why the cravings are worst in the first month. I don't think it's necessarily the drugs you are craving. I think it may still be the nicotene. But now you aren't getting the OMG cravings you got during the first few days, they are getting a little weaker as time goes by. The nicodemon is a very tricky little demon. He is going to try to fool you into thinking you want all kinds of things. A cigarette, your drugs from before, ANYTHING to get you to take that "one puff" so he can get you back hooked again. One thing that helped me is to keep telling myself (and I still tell myself this) is that it's not the cigarette (or whatever you want to replace it with) that I'm craving, it's Comfort and Company I'm craving. So find something else to give you that comfort, like a nice hot candle lit bubble bath. Or take a walk with a loved with for some company. You need to relearn how to do things WITHOUT the cigarettes and WITHOUT the drugs now, because you don't do any of those things any more. And once you face that fact, and find new things to replace them with, you will start to feel better. Keep hanging in there Bobbie, you are doing an amazing job. I'm really proud of you my friend.
0 Kudos