cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tanya4

A Better Life

Okay, so I've tried to quit in the past. And failed. Many times.
They say that you have to do it for yourself, and the if you're really trying to quit for someone else, it won't work.
My problem with that is that I really don't care about myself as much as I do those around me.
So this time I'm quitting for my son.
We're alone down here, and only having each other is affecting me in different ways than I anticipated.
Now that the logistical reality has concreted, I find myself focusing on the enjoyable parts of life.
We're big into outdoor activities like hiking and camping. He's earned his Arrow of Light Award from Cub Scouts and is now in Boy Scouts. And now, I'm an assistant leader.
So now I'm feeling guilty.
History: My health was really poor for the last 2 years. I've finally gotten a diagnosis and am on medication and am almost back to my old self. I LOVE enjoying time with my son again.
Back to the guilty thing: I no longer have the sense of hopelessness that I didn't realize at the time I was harboring.
Now I feel guilty because the only thing standing between me and my son's adventures is my smoking.
So at this point, I realize how ludicrous it is to be smoking in the first place, and I'm royally ticked at myself for not being successful at quitting in the past.
And I'm scared. What if I don't succeed this time? what if I can't keep up on the hikes? What if I let him down.
But I will cross each of those bridges if I come to them.
In the meantime, tomorrow will be my first smoke-free day. Any support and advice is readily welcome here!
I look forward to being able to talk with other people going through the same thing - I don't really have anyone in my life that I can call up who understands what this is going to be like.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
amanda57

Hey Sweetie!

I feel like I'm looking in the proverbial 'mirror' as I read your story. It's totally me, word for word. The guilt and shame, the fear and anxiety over failing to quit...I'm right there with you sweetie! Today was my first day and it was none to easy but another wonderful person on this site said something that REALLY hit me and so I am going to pass on her words of wisdom to you and hope they help you to stay strong also...

If I am willing to DIE for my children, I am willing to LIVE for my children!!!

Seems like putting down the smokes should be easier than stepping in front of a bullet but after today I'm thinking the bullet sounds like a nice alternative...LOL JUST KIDDING!!! WE can do this our children deserve it but more importantly WE DESERVE TO BE SMOKE FREE!! Stay strong, live well!!!
0 Kudos
kirsten2

Life is a learning process. That includes quitting smoking. Forgive yourself for your past failed attempts and do your darndest to keep your quit this time. And if you don't, try again. Then try again. And again. And AGAIN! Don't give up! Look at it like you've managed to not smoke X amount of cigarettes instead of looking at yourself as a failure. You're there! You're doing it!

And if that doesn't work, imagine the cigarette is a doughnut that will add 50 lbs to your scale in the morning. That should do it. lol. Works for me!
0 Kudos
rachel17

What would your son's life be like without his mother? You are doing this for you and him. Never give up! Just keep trying and keep the faith. The time is now! If you falter that means nothing just go right back to your quit. I had a rough start but I just got up dusted myself off and redoubled my commitment. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! By telling you that I am telling myself also. KEEP THE QUIT!!!
0 Kudos