cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandra3

Has anyone lost weight?

I am beginning to bust out of my clothes with this quit and I have not replaced my cigarettes with food. The only change in what I am eating is that I now chew sugarfree gum. I am actually drinking alot more water as well. I expected an increase in my weight but I really really need to stop gaining and start losing! Has anyone been successful in the early stages of their quit to actually lose weight? Any suggestions? I will tell you I have some physical issues so there are some excercises I cant do.But I am open to any help right now!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sandra3

Ok sooooooooooooooo I am going to assume then that this is big no!
0 Kudos
vickie5

Maybe a little I am 9 months quit and gained 15-20 and working my buttocks off to lose weight and not losing very fast...but hey I am a non smoker that is all that counts right now....it is said... it will come off body has to stabalize... I work out...eat right and that is all I can do...please stay quit don't let the weight get to you...it can be depressing..oh yea my new thing I am starting to pray it helped to quit smoking hope it helps to lose weight will keep you updated.....
0 Kudos
ctm

I didn't lose weight in the early stages. I was able to keep the gain to about 3 pounds though. Not bad, but I was walking around 50 miles per week to make it happen. The holidays are what did it to me.

I feel your pain. While weight gain sucks, I've read that you would have to gain about 75 pounds to offset the health benefits of giving up a pack a day habit.

Hugggs and good luck!!!!
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what i've lost. I quit smoking the same day i started the atkins diet. This diet will usually produce a 10 to 20 pound loss a week. Depends on how strict you are. Today is my fourth day, and Ive lost maybe 5-7 lbs.
0 Kudos
robin24

Hi, I'm new to this group. I HAVE been losing weight & have been a non-smoker for a short 5 days. I have been on the South Beach diet since 7-05-09. I have lost 23#. I started Chantix on 8-17-09. A few things I have done that helps with both the weight loss & the cravings are: Everytime I want a cig; I do something I hate to do around the house, such as put away clean laundry-it's never ending for me, I have 3 kids! I vacum a room( just 1!), I make a decaf herbal tea & drink real slow, enjoying the treat(it was peach today!), I call my daughter & walk the whole time I talk to her. I have found that my house is getting cleaner, I'm losing weight & by the time I finish the task, the craving is gone, a nice plus is i'm moving around all of the time so it's a little like a mini work-out!, when I'm STARVING, I read the label on what I want & ask myself "is it worth it after all of this hard work?".
I have started to work out @ the Y. I started out with the real easy classes, such as Senior Stretch(everyone in the class was over 60 & they kicked my butt!) and aqua arobics. As my strength & endurance improved, I took more challenging classes. I know you mentioned that you had some physical limitations, so just do what you can to keep yourself busy & moving. I KNOW we can do this! I have just told myself that if I gain a few pounds while I journey to quit, it's OK! It's so worth it! I wish you success with your quit. Don't get discouraged, these changes are temporary as our bodies are going through withdrawal.
0 Kudos