cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gina7

I am doing this for my girls!!!

I have two days to go until my quit date. I have quit smoking twice before on Chantix and hope to do so again. I am at high risk for COPD and just watched a great friend die of cancer. He was a non smoker and non drinker. This made me feel very guilty for all of the bad things that I feed my body- and he never did. Just isn't fair! I know in my heart that if I don't quit- I will die of cancer! My children are 6 and 2 and mean more to me than anything in this world! My husband, Mike, is great and quit dipping one year ago. He is very supportive. I am going to post pictures of my children everywhere- so when I think of smoking I will remember why I want to quit. I have been preparing this day for myself for several months. I feel awful- and everything I do revolves around smoking. I love my children more than I love smoking!!!! On Sunday I am going to start imagining a beautiful woman raising my children and sleeping in my bed with my husband! HORRIBLE thought huh???? That image and thought is giving me the drive to want to quit! Anyway- I hope I can get on here Sunday for some encouragement- and get through the day! Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit- and have already quit. We all have the same purpose!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

I lost my mother in August to lung cancer, and want to quit for the same reasons as you. I know I can do this, and you can do it, too.
0 Kudos
angie12

I recently lost my grandmother to smoking. She is also one of the reasons why I will be quitting also. I have set my date for November 1st. Like you I want to be around and see my kids grow up. I DON'T want to die of cancer!
0 Kudos
andrea15

Wonderful story!! You can do it!! Children are such a powerful force if you let them be. When I was 18 I found out that I was pregnant with my daughter. I was smoking before I knew I was pregnant heavily, and as soon as I found out I quit just like that!! I stayed clean for about 1.5 years. Then when I went back to work, I told myself, oh well just one won't hurt and I have been smoking since. That was 2006. I am ready too. For my daughter. None of us want our kids to look at us and think that smoking is ok, or end up with asthma or lung cancer because of our second hand smoke. Even though I never physically puffed in front of my daughter, I would ask her to eat a snack inside while mommy went outside to have "quiet time". I feel extremely guilty about it now, but I am taking the right step to ensure that she lives a healthy lifestyle. Like you are. You are creating a lifestyle that is beneficial for your kids. Keep that in mind!! Good luck and we are all here for you!!
0 Kudos
janet-birkey2

I was just reading through all of the stories for " Mothers who want to quit " . This is so important for us. I feel so horrible for putting this off for so long and so many times.. I too have 2 daughters ages 13 & 8. They are dissapointed with me and get mad at me for not quitting yet. I have started to cough alot so this time has to be THE ONE...... I am setting my quit date for this coming Monday. I know it's soon but I feel l know the triggers ect... after so many attempts... Just need to DO IT. that's it. Please keep me in prayer for STRENGTH as I proceed with this. You are all amazing people with whom I can relate... Thanks for your support...

Janet
0 Kudos
sandy-martin

I lost my dad when I was 15 years old and he was only 42 he died from lung cancer you would think that I would have never smoked but I did and now I have been told after a chest xray that my lungs are going through changes and if I dont stop I'm screwed.I am going to the doc tomorrow to get chantix and I am so scared that I will fail.I have two great kids who hate that I smoke so I am doing it for them.I have to get off these damn things.This is going to be so hard but I have no choice.
0 Kudos
kim12

HOw did you do with your quit, I am trying to talk with people who have used Chanitx, I heard some scary things but there seem to be people on this site that used it without side effects, I have not quit yet, working on my quit plan 5th time I am new to this group today,
0 Kudos
shannon-wood

the way you described yourself sounds just like me. I have asthma and it gets worse and worse everyday. That is really good advice to imagine a beautiful woman raising the kids and in your bed I think that will really help me even though it is funny I think that would help. The last time I was hospitalized about 2 weeks a go they told me that if I didnt quit smoking very soon I was going to die but being as stubborn as I am I didnt listen. But the more I think about it I know they are right so that I can be there for my kids.
0 Kudos