cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

amethyst2

Just started Chantix...

I started taking chantix 4 days ago and according to the directions I am supposed to quit this coming Friday. I noticed immediately that I was not getting that "high" or "relief" I used to get from smoking. I have reduced my cigarettes from 20 a day to about 6-7 a day. But, it is so hard to know what to do when I wake up in the morning, after meals, driving, or talking on the phone without smoking a cigarette. This medication helps because if I do chose to smoke, it really doesn't fulfill me. Has anyone quit a week after they started chantix and how was that experience? Does each day on the medication make it easier and easier? I'm willing to do whatever it takes, but I would like to prepare myself a little if the cravings will still be there.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
liz19

Hello! I am on my 12th day of Chantix, and have been smoke free for 7 days! I actually quit smoking on the Tuesday after I started taking it - because like you, I didn't get that 'relief' from smoking any more. I was so ready for it to be over, I just woke up and said, nope - not today, and have been saying that ever since. I knew I was going to with drawl no matter if I waited or not, so I got my first early days over with. For me, home is my biggest trigger, as I live with another smoker. So, that being said, once I got the initial 3 days over with - I have felt fine. I was grouchy, emotional, sad during those first few days, and even a couple days afterwards. But as of today, I feel fine. I get the rare, small urge to smoke, but it's not a problem to take a deep breath and do something else. I think your mind set is right, and the MOST important things to remember are DONT smoke. No matter what - for any reason. And 2 - you CAN do it - support helps A LOT!!! I smoked about a pack a day also, so I know if I can do it you can too. Check out www.whyquit.com that's a great site for reminding yourself WHY you are quitting. And I'll tell you, with all the emotions etc that I went through the first few days - it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I smell good, I feel good, I have more energy, and I can already feel myself breathing better. The smell of cigs makes me queasy now, and gives me a headache. You'll be amazed! Call on me if you need any help or support! Just remember - never take another puff! and N.O.P.E Not One Puff Ever!
0 Kudos