cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

denverdeb

quit date coming..c'mon chantix

Hey all, I started this group to talk to others who are using and have used chantix... I am on my 13th day of using it... no i did NOT quit after 8 days because i wanted to let it get in my system longer. I am noticing a great improvement though and i really think it is working. We will see how I do on april 14! I have had very minimal side effects and it seems really worth it so far.. especially since I could never go 5 hours before using this and NOT freak and nic out!!
I just want to know everyones experience with it. welcome and please join in!!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
don12

no....you are doing it for YOURSELF.

I'm only saying that because you don't want to be laying the frustration of urges on your kids.

And....the day I quit....I told my partner this...."Today, you will not do anything right. Your every move will be viewed badly by me. I will hate you completely. Do not think that you can make me feel any better about allowing you to exist. Today, everything bad that has ever happened to me is all your fault.

Get used to it."

Hell, at least they'll know not to take it personally!
0 Kudos
denverdeb

LOL.... luckily my hubby is quitting the same day so we will just be mean to each other :)... yes, Im doing it for myself because i want to be there for them
0 Kudos
don12

DenverDeb....

I took Chantix for a week before I quit last Sunday. So...I'm going on SIX days without a smoke!

While I took Chantix for that week, I noticed immediately that my smoking went down to a pack a day, then less. Which was quite a reduction as i was one of those autopilot smokers, and would do two packs a day...sometimes smoking so many cigarettes that I could not sleep.

Cigarettes were doing a number on me, and shortness of breath was what made me decide it was time.

I think Chantix is a good aide to quitting smoking, but like anything else...you must resolve to QUIT. and that means, NOT ONE. EVER. NO MORE. I know people that have gotten on a program to get Chantix for free,and they are proud that they only smoke ten cigarettes a day "|Because I want to, not because I need to" what a bunch of b.s.

If you think you can smoke a cigarette, even after a year...and not want another one immediately..don't kid yourself.

This isn't my first rodeo with quitting this nasty habit, and though I've slid back into it before, I know what it takes now, for me....I'm all or nothing when it comes to these damn smokes. Some people like booze...some like drugs...for me, the worst thing I've ever done is put that first cigarette in my mouth and light it.

Chantix helps with cravings, that's all. It won't cure you. You'll have to do that yourself.

I'll be around.

Don
0 Kudos
denverdeb

thanks don, i know what you mean... i am just encouraged that i have been able to cut down without even really thinking about it... i am ready... i am going to do this!! congrats to you..and thanks.
0 Kudos
don12

Deb...

The night before your quit date, get rid of lighters...get rid of ashtrays...and if your husband smokes, ask him not to smoke around you for at least a couple of months.

My partner and I are both quitting at the same time, so we get to communicate about 'how we did' on a daily basis, and that helps (well...it helps me anyway)...

I did notice on Chantix that cigarettes didn't taste nearly as good, and that they didn't seem to be doing as much...supposedly the drug inhibits the nicotine receptors in the brain. It seemed to be a lot easier to cut back.
But cutting back is not quitting.

Remember on Monday, and after that. ICE WATER. DEEP BREATHING.

I don't know why the ice water is working so well for me, but it seems to knock my urge to smoke in the nuts. And the deep breathing...well think about when you smoked...how you'd inhale just to get more nicotine...so deep breathing kinda replaces the habit.

One other thing I do is tell myself that I have never smoked in my life. Then I imagine not getting winded...not having to go outside to get my fix at non smoking friend's parties...and not thinking about where in the f I was going to get my next cigarette.

Heroin ain't shit compared to this stuff. You gotta be tough.

It's a long hard road. And we need all the company we can get while walking it. Thanks for walking it with me.
0 Kudos
denverdeb

I hear ya' - thank god that since I am such an addict, I never tried heroin! I also went and bought some cigarette filters (no nic in them or anything) just to take care of an oral fix once in a while and the breathing in thing. hope it helps. I just keep hugging my kids and saying to myself - I am doing this for you!! I want to be here for you....
0 Kudos
linda41

Great job MJ! I went to American Lung one year ago and quit one year ago with Chantix. I am now trying to get my husband to quit too. He has emphysema and a cough you would not believe. The Chanitx web site is also great. Have you signed up for it? They will either call or email you how ever often you wish for support in your effort to quit smokng.
I quit because I just hated the way I was being controlled by the bastards. I took the Chanitx for 3 months, then quit, then started again in January because I was having some urgent urges with the husband still lighting up everyday at home. I am fine again now and the smell and thought of smoking does nothing for me. Every once in awhile, I will light one up just to "be sure" I really hate smoking. Guess what? I really hate the taste and smell and everything about it. I want to be around to take care of my parents. they are at the age where I am needed more and more. Didn't want to beat them to the grave.
I also work in the cath lab, the place where you get your stents placed. You would think that would have deterred me?? Not so. Nicotine is a very powerful addiction. My instructor called it the Nicobeast. Well, best of luck to you. Chat any time, I will keep watching the room.
Linda
0 Kudos
bill-v_

You Da Man, MJ - Chantix helped me, but is NOT the magic cure. There's no pill, patch or witchdoctor that will make you stop...but you know that already. You are the only power that can make you say "no more". You've been through enough my friend.
You'd be wasting time combining any nicotine with Chantix. Chantix blocks the receptors that respond to nicotine. Regular gum/ hard candy helps by giving you something to do. Stay Strong!

Bill
Day 84
0 Kudos
denverdeb

wow bill, day 84??? congrats!! please say I will stop thinking about cigs all the time someday!
0 Kudos