cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

doris_mccoy

I need to know

Now that I have stop smoking will my copdget better? I know that it will not go away for there is no cure. I just want to know If it will atleast get better in breathing
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi Doris, Michael is right. Your COPD will not get better. BUT, that does not mean you won't FEEL better. As long as you stay quit, eat a heart/lung healthy diet and do some lung healthy exercises, you can build up the capacity of your lungs so that you can live a very good quality life. There are also inhalers that your doctor can give you for those days when the breathing is just not doing so good. But the breathing exercises can help with those days too. COPD does NOT have to be a death sentence. I'm getting ready to post some more exercises that will help you breath better.
0 Kudos
cheri

You will not seem as tired as when you smoked you will be able to go futher like in the stroe.But you may not notice it at first it happens just a little at a time. Now I notice when I go to the store and smell other people how bad I really smelled when I smoked and it is hard to believe that I let myself smell that way. And I notice other people seem to talk with me more in the stores now. Well Doris I have had COPD now for 4-5 years now and Mom just got her diagnosis this last year for COPD. Have done the excerbation with pneumonia and had to learn how to eat better and sleep more. So it is a sure thing you will want to eat healthy this means as many fresh foods as possible and rember almost all food you buy in a box is a refined food they have processed all the healthy nutrients out of it so stay with all the fresh fruits and veggies, fish low sodium as COPD patient retain water in legs and body, and get plenty of water every day this is so important and be sure to use your inhaler as directed if you have one. I use advir 2x day and fish oil and garlic supplements and prenatal vitiam for anemia. Be sure you have taked with your Dr. about pneuomnia shot and flu shot as well. For COPD patients we can become very sick with flu. So think and be healthy and stay focused and you will feel better. And always ask questions here we will be glad to help you! Have a great Day !!!
0 Kudos
claudia2

Cheri has most of the knowledge that I wanted to share with you. I don know where I would be without advair discus. If you aren't on an inhaler for COPD that is a must.
Fresh foods and veggies and Cheri said is also a must. I know in today's world it would be great to have something right out of a box that we could fix in 5-10 min...but you are talking about your life.
I have already noticed that my breathing is better. I still wear my CPAP at night but I stopped using my oxygen as soon as I was able to sleep flat and not in a sit up position.
It will not progress as fast, but will never go away. Unfortunately I have Fibromyalgia that is something else that will never go away and HEP C that I was treated for for two years then relapsed, so far there is no miracle treatment for that either.
God only gave us one body, better to start taking as best care of it as you can now.
0 Kudos
pam18

I appreciate your wisdom CLAUDIA & CHERI. I was diagnost w/ copd & emphysema having yet to excuse the expression stop sucking on them sucking things. I'm definately working on the food thing, understated. Michael i will remember your wisdom too.
0 Kudos
carole2

You can help it by being as active as you can be. Join a pulmonary rehab group. Mine is a 2 day a week, 2 hour class at our local hospital. You'll be with others like yourself and it really does help. I did improve my breathing and stamina alot. Also push water and eat good meals stay away from fast food.
I'm on Advair 500/50, Spiriva, Singular, and Theophyline all of which help immensly. I'm on oxygen 24/7 and am being tested for BIPAP now. I know very little about BIPAP but it is suppose to help me at night from retaing CO2
Good Luck and I'm sorry you too have COPD.
Carole
0 Kudos