Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

smorgy8513

Anniversary Blogs of Wisdom

Here is a blog from our dear Shawn.

Happy Anniversary Friend

The other day I was listening to an old song by a Christian rock artist  and it reminded me of our path to freedom. We have a choice!

Every year around my milestones, something always happens that tries to tempt me back to smoking.  John 10.16.14  said in a comment the other day and i hope he don't mind me quoting him but stated   "We have two starving wolves inside us, One is mean, selfish and greedy, The other is kind, thoughtful and caring. BUT they are starving and fighting and chewing on each other. We feel the turmoil inside us and wonder when will it end and who will win? Then we realize we can feed the one we want to win." That mean, selfish and greedy one, we also refer to as Nic, the addictive side of us. 

In this song, the lyrics say,  "Sometimes a shadow dark and cold  ,Lays like a mist across the road " That reminds me of Nic . He tried to test me again and this time, it was the worst one yet. It lasted close to a week where I felt at my lowest point.  I realized i liked smoking, i missed the taste. Painful Memories that i had buried deep inside of me, resurfaced. Smoking is what i used to do to take the pain away or at least that's what i used to think. I knew i was in a dangerous state of mind and was furious  that Old Nic still tries to  haunt me.  This isn't so much of a physical addiction but a  MENTAL one!! The whole entire week,  I kept saying to myself, N.O.P.E and sticking with my commitment that I made 3 yrs ago. I am so much happier since i quit except for when these times do arise.  I do  hope that someday  Nic will be gone forever  but meanwhile,  i will keep my armor on and fight the good fight! 

To my fellow members,   there is a road that leads to destruction or there is a road that leads to freedom Your path will sometimes have stumbling blocks.  do you go over those blocks and become stronger   OR do you stumble and fall? That choice is yours and yours alone!

I would like to thank  each person that  posts  here on site. Whether it be through a  blog, a comment , or a message on someone's wall.  You never know who you are truly helping.  To John 10.16.14  ,  I couldn't of read your comment at a better time. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.  We are a community that consists both of newbies and elders,  ALL helping each other to freedom!!! Everyone is special!  

My name is Shawn, and I am a nicotine addict.
I have stopped nicotine for 3 years, 13 minutes and 27 seconds (1095 days).
I've not smoked 21900 death sticks, and saved $6,244.60.
I've saved 76 days and 1 hour of my life.
Video that i just made. Hope you like.

"Road To Zion" lyrics  

[Based on Psalm 84:5-7]  

There is a way that leads to life   
    The few that find it never die   
    Past mountain peaks graced white with snow   
    The way grows brighter as it goes   

There is a road inside of you   
    Inside of me there is one too   
    No stumbling pilgrim in the dark   
    The road to Zion's in your heart   
    The road to Zion's in your heart   

The river runs beside the road   
    Its waters living as they flow   
    In liquid voice the water calls   
    On thirsty knees the pilgrim falls   

Sometimes a shadow dark and cold   
    Lays like a mist across the road   
    But be encouraged by the sight   
    Where there's a shadow, there's a light   

Sometimes it's good to look back down   
    We've come so far - we've gained such ground   
    But joy is not in where we've been   
    Joy is who's waiting at the end
Tags (1)
1 Reply
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I was fortunate to have met smorgy8513‌. I'm curious who the John 10 16 14 is that is referenced. Someone here on the site?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team