cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Chantix or the Quit

There have been a lot of questions about Chantix lately that are more quit related than Chantix related. Here are just a few of the ''answers'' from Quitstop's FAQs on what happens (physically) when you quit smoking - REGARDLESS of the method chosen. Quitstop is another smoking cessation website that has a membership base like this one. If you are a paying member, like I am, you have access to all of the FAQs and other resources not available to non-paying members.

Why can''t I sleep much since my quit?

Sleep disorders are common and temporary, usually lasting only a few weeks. You may never return to your previous sleep patterns, but you''ll actually develop sleep cycles more in tune with your natural rhythms. In many folks this translates into less sleep overall; in others, the opposite is true. In the meantime, do what you need to do for yourself, but realize that you''re better off (in the long run) not fighting the insomnia.

Is it normal to get acne and/or cold sores after quitting?

These are common detox symptoms (often called QuitZits around here), and are related to changing body chemistry/hormone shifts, toxins leaving the body through all soft tissue, and stresses on the immune system. Not fun, but also not permanent, and proof that your quit is on the right track.

Why am I getting headaches and dizziness after quitting?

When you quit, blood vessels all over your body expand to their ''normal'' diameters. Increased blood flow to the cerebellum can cause headaches; increased blood flow to the fingers and toes can give a feeling of tingling (like when your leg falls asleep.) Dizziness can result from both lower blood pressure and an increase in oxygen to nerves and tissue as carbon monoxide is eliminated from your blood system.

I kind of feel like I''m ''stoned'' since I quit; is this normal?

Nicotine decreases peripheral vision and hearing; it affects the optic nerves and deadens nerve impulses in general. Some people report that, after quitting, sounds are louder, colors are brighter, and/or external stimuli in general are somehow more intense. Not only that, but the post-quit increase in oxygen can have a slight ''hallucinogenic'' effect in and of itself. If you notice that the baby seems to cry louder, or that people walk by your office more often, or you seem to be entranced by colors, you''re on the right track to a life without the numbing effect of nicotine.

I''ve been exhausted since I quit; does this happen to everyone?

Sleep pattern distortion IS one of the most common nicotine detox symptoms. For some folks like yourself, it manifests as exhaustion; in others, insomnia (or even a switching between the two). You may never return to your previous rest cycles, but all of this should work its way out by the 3-month mark

Is my Zyban or NRT causing this bloating and gas?

''A few common withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking include: constipation,gas, and stomach pain. Nicotine affects the stomach/GI tract bacteria that aid digestion. Additionally, a possible side affect of Zyban and NRT is constipation. Drinking lots of water, eating more fiber (fruits, veggies, etc), exercise and over-the-counter medicines usually help. If the symptoms continue without relief, call your doctor.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
3 Replies
nancy41

This is great information. Thanks for putting it out here!
0 Kudos
SaraSmile

Yes, thank you. That actually answered some questions I've had!
Sara
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
selina

Thank you for the information..Very useful
0 Kudos