cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Different foods that help with Lung Function

I've heard/read before that certain foods like broccoli are good for our lung health. We even had a discussion on here at one time, but it disappeared somehow and I don't have the link any more. But while I was thinking about it and trying to do a Google search for good "lung" foods, I found this article about apples.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_251/ai_n6116651/

Do any of you know of any other foods that are reported to be lung healthy foods?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Let us see some dos and don’ts about the foods eaten for lung health.
- Enjoying a variety of foods is a must. This will ensure proper nourishment for the body

- We all know that fruits and vegetables are very rich in nutrients. So it is important to include a generous serving of fruits and vegetables in your daily meal.

- Have plenty of cereals, breads and other grain products. This increases the fibre that is required by the body.

- Avoid oily and greasy foods and take low-fat dairy products. The foods high in calories will only harm the lungs

- It is better to have lean proteins such as eggs, fish, white meat chicken and turkey etc. Consuming lean meats reduce the intake of calories by us

- Excess of salt is very bad for lungs as well as the overall health. Limit the amount of salt consumed

- Cut your intake of caffeine and alcohol. These foods are very addictive and are very bad for the lungs

- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water or other healthy beverages everyday. Its good for lungs and it also flushes out toxins from your body

- Don’t go for carbonated and sugary beverages The foods with added sugar and refined starches such as cakes and candies should be avoided

- Don’t combine beverages along with you meals. Having them along with the meals increases the pressure on the diaphragm

- Avoid chewing gums as the air swallowed by us when we chew it causes bloating and gas
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Barb...thanks for posting these links and info! I've pretty much been eating a ton of veges ever since I started on my diet to lose the after quitting smoking pounds, but I don't eat much fruit because of the sugar and calories, but after reading the one about the apples being so good for lung function, I do believe I'll start eating at least 5 a week. As far as supplements go, there probably isn't any known to man that isn't in my cupboard. I've always been a bit of a nut about supplements. I really feel they were probably my saving grace as far as letting me reach the ripe old age of 65 and smoke up until that time without getting into any worse condition as med. COPD and emphysema. I sure could have had lung cancer by now. My aunt, who smoked, died at 63 from lung cancer. I always thought if I could just live past 63, I'd really be blessed and that I am!
0 Kudos

Another article that makes mention of apples, particularly because they have fiber in them. I have been trying to get more fiber just because I'm trying to lose weight. And more fiber tends to result in higher weight loss. I didn't realize I was doing a world of good for my lungs at the same time.

http://www.rxpgnews.com/respiratorymedicine/Early_life_tobacco_expo...
0 Kudos
spunkie

Barb thanks so much for all your research it is very helpful even reading information we know assures us that we are on the right track.. Thanks so much
0 Kudos
sue5

Thank you Barb, I haven't been on here for long except to read once in a while but trying to catch up some this is wonderful advice. I have had a problem for a couple of days now with my breathing. Off work a couple of days but back tomorrow.

Sue
0 Kudos
spunkie

Thanks so much for sharing I knew Brocoli and onions but didn't know about apples good article
0 Kudos