cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonnie4

One addiction for another

Ok, some of you know that I didn't plan to use Nicorette as much as I have been. For those of you that don't, I had a few pieces, was running out and found myself with crazy behavior and thoughts. Hoarding the last few, worrying about running out. Sound familiar? As a matter of fact, the stuff you guys posted about doing that with cigarettes and the insanity of running to the store in the middle of the night, etc. is what helped me decide to push my quit date up a week. Living that insanity and really seeing it for what it is and how it mirrored my other addictions just reminded me that I don't need to feed my cigarette addiction anymore. So I planned on just using Nicorette for the first few days. It's better than smoking, right? Here's the thing, I bought some more Nicorette when I found myself freaking out about running out. Now, I worry that I've just traded one addiction for another again. I'm not using, I'm not smoking, but still I'm addicted. Most everyone has been supportive about giving myself a break and not beating myself up about the gum. However, I don't want to keep that habit forever either. Will I experience physical withdrawal symptoms similar to quitting smoking? Anyone have experience, strength and hope or suggestions on quitting the quitting aids?

Bonnie
1 week, 4 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes, 20 seconds smoke-free, 278 cigarettes not smoked, I've saved $78.81!!!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sherri10

I have to rant for just a second!!!!! I had written all this great stuff and was nearly finished and ready to add my reply. And don't you know it was some great stuff too, probably would have saved your life Bonnie. My bossy cat, Brandon got up here on my desk and decided he MUST have his petting. Started walking all over the keyboard and layed down on the mouse and then everything I had typed was GONE!!!!

Now I have to type it all over again!!!!

Give me a few minutes!!
0 Kudos
sherri10

Okay, my mind went blank..................What was I saying................. Oh, yes, here is the critical life saving info.

I tried to quit with the nicotine gum last year. Here is why the gum didn't work for me. First of all, it was the most disgusting thing I ever put in mouth! Nasty nasty!!! Because of the aweful taste, I didn't chew it as often as recommended. Therefor, the chemical withdrawals were worse. The reduced amount of nicotine wasn't at a constant level for me.

This time I'm using the patch and it's working out much better for me. The chemical withdrawals are much more bearable. But I still have had to deal with the physical habit of reaching for a smoke and the psychological part as well. (Just like with drinking/drugging)

(The cat just walked by, he's coming back!!!! Let me get rid of him)

Ok the little angel is gone.........for now.

To deal with the chemical withdrawals, anxiety/depression and sleepiness, I got a lot of exercise and drank a LOT of cold and I mean frigid water! These are the only things that helped. Oh...and meetings at AA/NA. I didn't have to talk about the smoking. Just as with my other addictions, just being there for someone else helped me get out of myself long enough to not notice the shit I was feeling.

As far as the physical habit of reaching for a cigarette, there were two things that were immensely helpful. Every time I wanted to light up, I grabbed for regular, plain old gum. Bubble gum and cinamon gum. My face was sore the first week from chewing a total of 20 full packs of gum! After a month, I now find myself instinctively reaching for gum when I feel stressed or whatever instead of smokes............without the thought of smokes. This kept me from eating a lot more too. I haven't gained any weight. In fact, I've actually managed to lose weight since I quit. I've been told by more than one person that I've traded my smoking addiction for a gum addiction! That sounds funny to me! Who ever heard of being addicted to gum??? But I don't give a s*&(. Who cares!!! Sugarless gum is NOT going to hurt me!!!

The other thing I did was to 'smoke' a straw. I would go through the entire motion of smoking a cigarette. It REALLY relieved the anxiety after only a couple of drags, which tells me that the majority of my addiction is PSYCHOLOGICAL!

I also really think that hanging out here an absurd amount of time getting to know the people here has been really helpful. The game room has helped a lot, having fun!! Recovery needs to fun!There have been a few times that I think I probably would have smoked had I not had to report my slip to the people here. Accountability, just like with AA/NA.

Well, the cats are ganging up on me now and I think this is about as comprehensive as it needs to be. I really hope this wasn't too damn long! I hate those long winded speakers in meetings! But atleast here, you can just skip over it!!

Hope this was helpful!!

Sherri

I have been quit for 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 16 hours, 14 minutes and 34 seconds (29 days). I have saved $356.11 by not smoking 1,780 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 4 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/7/2008 1:15 AM
mr1957

I used chantix for about 3 weeks. I always hated the damn gum. I cant help you about the gum, but I dont believe that the withdrawal from nicotene is fatal...lol We put to much worry and not enough faith in front of us often heh. Hang in there. You will know what to do if you ask.... I love the 11 step.
0 Kudos