bonnie4

One addiction for another

Discussion created by bonnie4 on Jun 5, 2008
Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 by sherri10
Ok, some of you know that I didn't plan to use Nicorette as much as I have been. For those of you that don't, I had a few pieces, was running out and found myself with crazy behavior and thoughts. Hoarding the last few, worrying about running out. Sound familiar? As a matter of fact, the stuff you guys posted about doing that with cigarettes and the insanity of running to the store in the middle of the night, etc. is what helped me decide to push my quit date up a week. Living that insanity and really seeing it for what it is and how it mirrored my other addictions just reminded me that I don't need to feed my cigarette addiction anymore. So I planned on just using Nicorette for the first few days. It's better than smoking, right? Here's the thing, I bought some more Nicorette when I found myself freaking out about running out. Now, I worry that I've just traded one addiction for another again. I'm not using, I'm not smoking, but still I'm addicted. Most everyone has been supportive about giving myself a break and not beating myself up about the gum. However, I don't want to keep that habit forever either. Will I experience physical withdrawal symptoms similar to quitting smoking? Anyone have experience, strength and hope or suggestions on quitting the quitting aids?

Bonnie
1 week, 4 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes, 20 seconds smoke-free, 278 cigarettes not smoked, I've saved $78.81!!!

Outcomes