cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

katheen

living with COPD

Hi, my name is Kathleen and I have COPD. I've had it for over four years and still smoke but, plan on quitting on the 17th of this month. Find it harder to walk for any distance at all like going to the store or other places within walking distance. Have a boyfriend who is also quitting with me and we're engaged to get married in a few years been with him for three years in Feb. I also have a cat whos name is midnight or little boy boyfriends name is Danny and he is a great guy I love him so much is is just everything I wanted someone to be.

Kathleen
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
claudia2

Kathleen,
We are so glad to have you here. You will not see a lot of action on this page, so please join other groups and start making friends. You can add me to your friends list because already we have something in common.
My COPD is as bad as yours. For the past few years my husband has had to do all the grocery shopping and walking the dog because I just can't do it.
I will tell you one thing............I am only on my 10th day and I no longer sit up sleeping. I used oxygen just at night time and I haven't used it since Fri. I have not heard any wheezing in my chest...........I guess in other words..........I feel fantastic.
I started smoking when I was a teen and smoke for over 40 years. I quit ( you must say "stopped") once in 1979, but started back when I started gaining a lot of weight. I worked in a really good restraurant at the time and I just shoveled it in. I know better now what to do.
I don't know where you love but your post is 3:18am..........so I will tell you one other thing.....you will sleep so much better.
You will meet so many fantastic people on become an EX. They are there to help you through the rough times and keep you straight as well. They won't put up with you if you sit on your pity pot, that is for sure~~~~!!!!!
Right before Christmas I woke my husband because I thought I was having a heart attack....it ended up to be pleurisy, but I felt like I had been kicked in the chest by a horse and could not breath. They had to drain my lung and gave my IV pain medication that I never felt.........that truly amazed them (nurses). I stayed that way for a week and thought perhaps that might had been the sign that it was time to QUIT FOR REAL.
I wish you all the luck in the world, because I know what you are living with and it is pure hell.
I will tell you one thing. I have been smoke free for 10 days and went to Sam's Club on Sunday and walked around for over an hour..........and never could have done that in the past.
I wish you the best of success. I will be here if you need me. I am on this site every single day, every chance I have!
0 Kudos

Hi Kathleen, I'm really glad you are here too. I don't get a chance to get on here as much as I would like. The website messes with my computer because of all the graphics. But I'm hoping to get it fixed soon. (If not, maybe I'll accidently on purpose knock it on the floor so I can get a new one?)

Anyway, I know how you feel too. My breathing actually got worse when I quit smoking, but that was only because that is when the emphysema decided to let me know it was around. I've had Chronic Bronchitis for probably over 15 years, was just diagnosed with the E about 8 months ago (39 days into my quit). I was so devistated by the diagnosis, I had to be treated for depression. Between quitting smoking, and the depression, I've gained quite a bit of weight (50+ pounds). That much weight gain in that short a time is surely contributing to my breathing problems. I'm sure that once I start to lose, my breathing will get much better. I was going to Pulmonary Rehab (I highly recommend that to EVERYBODY!) for awhile, but had to quit because I got sick, and now my work won't allow me to work my hours around it. But I learned a lot there that helps me to breath better than I was. The cold weather doesn't help either.

Please feel free to look around this group and the links that are here. And like Claudia said, this group really isn't very active, but most of us are all together in other clubs too. It is nice to have this club to add links to or to post to if there is anything you want to say about your COPD that you don't feel good saying elsewhere though. And please add me as a friend if you'd like.
0 Kudos
katheen

Hi Barb, It sounds like you have it pretty bad with the COPD and I'm sorry to here that it's that bad on you. I'm afraid that I have to go in tomarrow to get the breathing test from the Dr. and I'm a little worried about that, because I'm afraid that they may put me on the oygan tank next and I don't want that right now at least. So I don't know what to expect from this test but I remember the one I had before I was sitting in a glass box and ask to breath into these different tubes.

Love you Kathleen Tinder

Love you Kathkeen Tinder
0 Kudos
claudia2

Yes, I just had to be in "the Glass Box" a few weeks ago. I really does tire you out, or rather it did me. I did this when I was 3 days into my quit and felt pretty good about it. Then they did the blood test to check the blood oxygen. But these are important to keep these appointments. I called my Pulminoligist (sp) and told him that after 12 days of not smoking that I was not using my oxygen at night and that I was sleeping better then ever. I still use my CPAP, but still don't get those great night sleep that so many people said that I would.
I also have Fibromyalgia and it really messes with my sleep. So one night I might get 3 hours...Monday night I overslept and had to call work and tell them I would be late!!!!! I don't use an alarm clock, because I don't know when I have ever slept past 5am or 6am at the latest. The president of the company just laughed at me, cause I am always there so early.
Well, my doctor wasn't to thrilled that I took myself off oxygen, but I can even lay flat and sleep....I haven't done that for years either.
So the rewards that I have had so far are way to many to count, and I will really surprise them the next time I am in the little "glass box" for my before and after tests!
0 Kudos
katheen

Claudia, got you message and I would suggest to go to Debbie site she has been helping me out alot lately she is a wonderful lady that i just ran accross her page one day and she has agreed to be my buddy here on ex and that has helped me. So try that one alright friend and this to shall pass as we both know it's just the devil wanting to get his way again with us this morning. I LOVE YOU so hang in there.

Love your sister Kathleen
0 Kudos
katheen

Barb,can you sign me up as your friend because I'm having trouble with that alright.

Love you Kathleen
0 Kudos