cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

melissa70

Welcome!

I am quitting on July 25th and although I would like him to quit, my spouse is not ready. I am determined to do this, but am sure it will be hard to do knowing he is still smoking, smelling the cigs, etc. Hoping there are others out there who can relate and we can share our thoughts and lean on eachother.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
craig-goral

I hear you I am in the same boat only the genders are reversed. I stopped smoking July 3rd and will be joining them on holiday soon for3 weeks. Lets keep in touch and support each other. who knows maybe our spouses will get on the band wagon.
0 Kudos
melissa70

Whoo hoo, 2 strong now! Come on people, I know there are more of you out there! No discounts on t-shirts for the group unless we find more of you HAHAHA! I know from the last time I quit vacation time is hard. I cut back to a couple of smokes a day but somehow thought vacation was a free ticket to smoke again....you know a drink and a smoke go hand in hand...so I'd say try not to have drinks because you might slip. Try to do things that will keep you busy....like I was fishing yesterday and it's tough to reel in a fish with a smoke in your hand! Stay strong and know you are quitting for yourself and it's something you want to do. If we cave we are only cheating ourselves!
0 Kudos
nekosol2

I can understand this one. My quit day is July 31, and my husband is just not ready to quit himself...but he is rooting for me, and will not smoke around me. I know that this will be harder than it sounds, but I am ready to quit.
I guess that it is hard, because I know I could not quit until I was ready, and he needs the same thing.
I am happy to know that there are more like us out there!
I am sure we can be a good support group!
0 Kudos
melissa70

Congrats on setting your quit date! I hope you are finding this site as useful and supportive as I am! I am really hoping when I get through this whole process, my spouse will get the courage to give it a try. He is very much behind me too and has promised not to smoke around me. I am very excited and very scared at the same time. I really want to be on the other side of life now, not chained to these stupid smokes, and having been there before (my longest previous quit was 30 days), I know and remember how good I felt. I am quitting cold turkey this time as I have tried everything else already, and I was doing a lot of reading on the whyquit.com site (never take another puff). Read the whole thing and it really helped me stick to my decision. I don't want to go from smoking to nicotine gum chewing, as I think it's true that it only prolongs the withdrawal. If I am going to do this, I want to get it done and over with. How are you going to quit?
I've also signed up with the Daily Pledge group as I think that will keep me going every morning. I'm going to exercise when I have a bad craving and drink lots of juice and green tea to keep my calories down. I've cut up straws to smoke as well (a lot of people on here say it helps).
I signed up with a quit buddy too, if you don't have one I'd be glad to be yours. If I stay strong I can pass it on to you 😉
Craig is the other member in this group and he is really nice and supportive, although I think he is on vacation right now but will be back I'm sure.
Anyhoo hope to hear from you and have a great day!
0 Kudos
dianna

yeah i want to stop so bad but it is really hard with no support
0 Kudos
nekosol2

Thank you so much for everything! My method of quitting is I have been limiting my cigarettes to about 2 a day, and every time I get a craving now, is I grab a piece of Orbit gum (I would rather chew a pack a day, instead if smoking a pack, LOL). I agree with you not not prolonging the withdrawal! 🙂
Water has also been my drink of choice, as I have been really bad about it in the past. So, either I chew a piece of gum, or drink water. It has really been helping with my urges now.
This site has really been helpful, more so than I really thought it might be!
I will check out those other sites, and I would really be happy to be your quit buddy! I need all the support I can get, and I would love to be able to offer everything I can to help you as well!
0 Kudos
melissa70

Hi! I have been quit for 4 Days, 3 hours and 15 minutes (4 days). I have saved $23.15 by not smoking 57 cigarettes. I have saved 4 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 7/25/2008 11:10 AM

First couple of days I was a zombie, really tired and slept a lot. But it keeps getting better. I feel much lighter if that makes sense, and really quite calm and serene. First morning craving isn't bad at all, but some that come really try to knock you down.

My hunny is very proud of me, and says he will try in 2 weeks.
Have a great day!
0 Kudos
nekosol2

Right now, I am going on two days without a cigarette, and it has been a challenge. Oddly enough, though, being around my husband has not been too bad. The smell of him smoking does not make me crave it as I thought it would, but really just makes me sick. My mood have not really been that great, bless his soul, and I have been really tired.
I feel better. I still get the cravings after eating, and drinking coffee, but chewing a bunch of gum as really helped. I am now helping my husband on tracking his cigarettes now, and he is getting on board to quit himself. I give my support to everyone out there!
If I can do it, trust me, anyone can!
Xoxo-Kate
0 Kudos
maureen3

Hi everyone I just joined the group,

I have been smoke free for about 85 days now (May 11). My husband still smokes but does not while I am around. I would love for him to stop also but right now he is not ready. I do feel that I am limiting his smoking which is almost as good. Seeing that we drive into work everyday together and he cannot smoke in the car. And not smoking in the same room that I am in, in the house. Even cutting down is good at this point. I know that when He is ready he will stop. I just have to be patient and remember that I gave them up for myself and he has to do the same thing for himself. No one can make someone give up if they are not ready themselves. Think if the tables were turned, if he said to you look I want you to stop smoking because I did would you be understanding.
0 Kudos