cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

_c_

Withdrawal?

Have any of you experienced withdrawal symptoms when you go off of Chantix? I've tried it several times now, and although I feel great and it's easy to quit when I'm on the drug, I get sooo depressed and down whenever I go off. This is really tough!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
beth22

I was wondering about that myself, and I figured that might be the case, so I've come up with a plan....just in case.
I think I'll "wing" myself off of them when I get close to that time. You think that might work?
0 Kudos
janie5

Probably the best thing to do is to talk to your doctor. I took Chantix for 31 days and quit taking it because I felt very anxious. Proud to say....I've been SMOKE FREE for 8 months, 3 weeks and 4 days today! I talked with my doctor before quitting and he thought I should continue for another month but he said to give it a try. It worked for me!

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
_c_

Thanks for your help! Yeah, I've talked to my doctors and I suffer from depression anyway. This time I weaned myself slowly off Chantix, and earlier than the recommended 3 months, but I went from feeling pretty calm and serene while I was on the drug to feeling very down when I went completely off. I read today that Chantix affects dopamine levels, which makes sense with how crappy I felt after going off. Unfortunately, I've started smoking again, but my doc recommended trying Nicorette instead. I think I'm just too sensitive to drugs and chemicals to handle the withdrawal from Chantix. It's different for everyone, but I think it's great that you're preparing for how the withdrawal might affect you, and have a plan ready. I think I was overly confident because I was feeling so good on Chantix. But I will never quit trying to quit! 🙂
0 Kudos
lynda4

I am afraid of not taking the stuff because before when I have tried to quit I have been through anxiety and sleeplessness but I haven't had that at all with Chantix. I feel like if it makes that much difference to me while quitting, what will happen when I stop taking it? I am about half way through my 12 weeks now, and I thought I might try to lower the dose or something when I get closer to the end - I was hoping it would not cause 'withdrawal symptoms' but I guess that was wishful thinking!
0 Kudos
_c_

The withdrawal isn't from nicotine, because after the first 3-4 days on Chantix (which doesn't contain nicotine) your body has cleared pretty much all of that toxin. The withdrawal I've suffered has come from the drop in dopamine - Chantix raises it and acts like Xanax. Sooner or later you have to wean from Chantix, and that's what has made me feel so down, anxious and depressed afterwards. It's a great drug for quitting smoking (at least in the short-term) but their success rate after 3 months is only 44%. So at least one in two smokers start again. From my experiences, I've learned that it's essential to have a post-Chantix plan in place that will work for the individual.
0 Kudos
libby

Lynda, I am on my 3rd quit with Chantix. I still believe it is the best drug I've used to quit smoking. I think I smoked again in the past after going off the Chantix because I was overconfident and thought I had it kicked, but I did feel like I wanted to smoke when I went off. You shouldn't have any nicotine withdrawal because, unlike the gum and patches, there is no nicotine in Chantix. I think it's all in the head, the brain acts in strange ways. Anyway, I am also nearing the end of my Chantix soon and I've also been concerned about whether or not I will want to smoke. I think, like you, I will taper off, maybe take one a day instead of two during my last week. I just wish the day would come that we don't have to think about smoking anymore. Good Luck!
0 Kudos
lynda4

Wow, that's pretty depressing! I am planning on staying on the stuff as long as I can so I can forget my 35 years of ingrained smoking habits, then maybe try to wean off gradually. I have been taking it for six weeks now and don't even really think much about smoking any more. It would sure suck if all that goes down the drain when I come off Chantix!
0 Kudos
jan__tx

have any of you developed the shakes since you quit using Chantix?
0 Kudos
wil

I am going to do the same thing. When I get to that last pack I will take only one per day, like after 10am. Quitting is a process that we have to really apply ourselves to. Chantix has made it easy for us to overcome the rough patches that going cold turkey causes. When I got to 50 days I almost didn't buy my last box but decided to complete the entire 12 week program and I know that I will extended it a little longer by taking one per day, but as long as I don't smoke I don't care. Quitting is the most important thing right now. ON PROBATION FOR LIFE.
0 Kudos