cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

edith2

Talk About It

One of the greatest tools towards a successful quit is talking about what you're going through. Years ago I heard a saying that "we're only as sick as our secrets." So when I talk about what I'm going through, it gives others the opportunity to reach out and give me support and help me with whatever I'm going through. Sometimes I don't like "airing my dirty laundry," but when it comes to acheiving my goals, it is essential to do so I can move forward and I don't feel so alone. Talking strengthens the foundation of my quit. The number one reason for relapse that I've seen and experienced is not talking to someone about what I'm going through. Talking is a way that I'm insuring my quit against any obstacles that may hit me in the face.
Group Pictures, Images and Photos
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
a.d.

I have to agree with you on all counts here. I have posted a few blogs just spewing my sick thinking, trying to get some help. One time in particular I was embarassed because my previous post was sooo positive, and then there I was a few days later wishing for a cigarette. But you know what, I didn't stuff those feelings down and ignore them, and I came here where I knew I could get some truth and encouragement. And I DID NOT SMOKE.
chris65

Agreed! It's been great to air my thoughts and receive encouragement from others. It's very therapeutic to be able to just spew out what's on your mind. I know I feel better afterwards.
0 Kudos
andrew3

Good job on not smoking! Never feel embarrassed about coming here to write out your feelings. I have done that same very thing, but you need to realize everyone feels that way, and some people are ahead of you in their quit, and can help you to see what is coming up. Also some people are behind you whether it is just a week, but they will look up to you early on, because they will see if this person can do two weeks I can make it. That is ho I made it through the first week!! Keep up the good work AD
0 Kudos
susan58

Well, I'm going to jump in here. I've been smoke-free for a week now! Yeay for me!! But today I went out back and found a bag that I initially thought had the last cigarettes I'd thrown away in it...and in a split second, I was ready to light up!! Thank goodness it wasn't THAT bag...THAT bag is history. But the fact that I could have smoked so easily, without really even thinking about it, scared the daylights out of me. Granted, if I really wanted to smoke, I could get my hands on a cigarette, so I'm obviously doing something right. It sure was a wake-up call for me. AND, I got through the craving, and am still smoke-free...whew!! I'm using the patch, and have tried quitting several times over the years, but this time seemed so easy! NOT. I'm as vulnerable as I ever was...I just need to keep myself out of the line of fire, I guess.

Linda, I've often wondered why that happens, too. My thoughts on the matter used to be that when we quit smoking we put our bodies through a lot of change, and maybe that triggers something??? It's not a healthy way to look at it, and it's reaching for any excuse that a smoker would use!! It does make me wonder sometimes, though.
0 Kudos
katheen

Well been smoke free for four days and yes it's hard because I still want to smoke but that is not an option for me today. Probably if someone offered me a smoke I'd probably take it and smoke it this has been one of the hardest things that I've ever done.

LOL Kathleen
0 Kudos
elaine10

This is the 3rd full day of my current quit. I have "quit" so many times that I have lost track of how many, so I have a lot of experience on what to expect. True to experience, for me, anyway, the first 2 days were not that bad. Yes, I had cravings, some longer than others, but at least I was not one big craving, the whole time. Then along comes the 3rd day and I am a nervous wreck--just can't seem to calm down, no matter what I do. If there were any cigarettes around here, I would definitely smoke one, and it is all I can manage to keep myself from running to the store to get some! My last "quit" before this one was January 10 (without support), and I got through Day 3 that time by just telling myself that if I could just get through that day, it would get easier. Well, it turned out that Day 3 was just the start of one big crave for me. I made it through the rest of that first week by telling myself that the second week would be easier (but it wasn't). I made it through the second week by telling myself that if I could just make it to Week 3, it would be easier, but it wasn't. Then, something really upset me, February 2, and the addiction won out again. OK. the deal is that I don't feel very good about myself, right now, for other reasons in addition to not feeling good about myself for repeatedly giving in to the addiction. The other things are more complicated and will take longer to change, but I can do something about the addiction right now. And this time, I have the support of others who have been there and know what it is like and have done it, which is motivating and inspiring. I also have read your comments and have come to realize that it may well take months or even years to feel more comfortable as a nonsmoker, and even then there will be times when some trigger will make me want to smoke. Yet, today, this Day 3, I am so scared, because of my experience in January, but beating this addiction is the absolute best thing I can do for myself at this time in my life! Dear God, please give me strength and courage today. Thank you. And thanks to all of you for listening (or reading, as the case may be!). Just getting these thoughts written out here has helped a lot!
0 Kudos
andrew3

I agree with you!!!
0 Kudos
beth22

You still doing great Linda, and are a hero to many of us for making it this far...you'll get through this patch too. We have all got to remember that smoking wasn't just a physical addiction, but also a mental one, that's why some of these withdrawal symptoms come and go over long periods of time. Extremely blesses are the ones who are able to put the smokes down and never have the urge to pick them up again....I have a friend like this, and believe me, she is EXTREMELY unsympathetic about how hard this quit and every other quit has been on me....maybe she's not so blessed after all. Please don't fall for the "why the Hell do I bother" trick....this will pass. What is happening to your friend is horrible, but it may not even have anything to do with the fact that she smoked. My mother died of cancer and never smoked a day in her life. By sticking with your quit you know you are doing the very best thing.....and I'm sure your friend would tell you that too. Peace be with you.
0 Kudos
beth22

You're a little ahead of me.....I'm just on day 3 of my quit. I do agree that's it's extremely hard, and that's the very reason that we need to keep it up and follow through. You and I both know that if we go back to smoking this time will come around again.....and personally I don't want to go through the past three days EVER again. We both obviously wanted to stop smoking and we'll just want to quit smoking again down along the line somewhere, so let's just stick with this quit, ok? You can do it!!!!
0 Kudos