cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

edith2

Compassion

There are people on this site who will relapse/slip. It takes alot of courage and humility to come back to this site, to admit what we did, and to start over again. It doesn't matter how long I've quit, I will never be cured from this addiction. It is cunning and patient and could take me back any time. If I ever do, I hope that people will welcome me back and give me the support I need. We've abused ourselves long enough, I don't believe that we should be abused, scolded, or shamed when we come back. No one has the right to judge someone else unless they've been in their shoes and totally understand where they are coming from. Even then, compassion goes alot further than pointing the finger does. We are here working for the same goal on a common ground.

Group Pictures, Images and Photos
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jennifer26

Amen, sister.
0 Kudos
lucinda2

you go
0 Kudos
bryan5

Amen, Well Said, and Thank You.
0 Kudos
angeleyes

AMEN I Love this group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
terry12

Thank you Edith, once again, for a wonderful statement. I have relapsed so many times in the past of 48 years of addiction that I cannot give anything but compassion and love to any who also have fallen. And when we do stumble and fall and skin our knee again or even break a limb, we need to have the compassion for ourselves as well as for others.

As Mark Twain once said, Heck, it's easy to quit tobacco. I've done it hundreds of times. Those of us who are no strangers to relapses understand that one. But as Keb Mo, a great young blues musician, says in one of his songs, Just pick yourself up, dust youself off, and make yourself a better person.
0 Kudos
val5

I just read this again, and it made me feel so much better about everything. I slipped and I will keep going, I just had to comment on how these words touched me. thanks Edith!
0 Kudos
barbara42

Edith, i so agree with you on this, a few people have made it the first time they ever tried to quit and that is great. however, i do not think that every one can or should do it on their first try. what i mean is, some times we have to learn compassion for one another, if i have never been on that road befor, how can i know the heartache and the miserable feeling you have when you fail? i do not mean to take any thing away from the people that did it on their first time, i think that is great, but i do not think it makes any one any better and unfortunatly i do think that some do. any way, do you remember the old song HE AIN,T HEAVY, HE,S MY BROTHER? the words to that song is so needed on this site, and thank you for letting people see that if we fail, we are to get right back up, because we will win peace!
0 Kudos
edith2

Oh yeah! I do remember that song. I can't remember who did that song. I think it was the Hollies. I love the Hollies! I appreciate all these comments! We are alot stronger together on a common ground!
0 Kudos
joy-robbins

Thanks Edith. I have a long history of relapses over the last 5 years, and your message of compassion encourages me. Any day I don't smoke is a good day, but now I want to make them all like that, and for good.
0 Kudos