cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

edith2

When did you tell others that you quit?

When I quit smoking, I did it spur-of-the-moment. I didn't tell anyone. I was afraid of the embarrassment that if I told everyone that I quit and then failed, I'd have to tell them that I slipped. But after one day, I thought it would be a good idea if I told everyone that I could. I figured that the fear of embarrassment would motivate me to stay quit. It worked. I made sure that I didn't smoke to save "face."
0 Kudos
7 Replies
tempest

I am not going to tell anyone that I have quit...well anyone but here at EX. I am going to just let it slip away from me and those around me. Too many times I have announced I am going to quit to the point I was teased and ridiculed the last few times I tried.
0 Kudos
edith2

I totally understand where you're coming from! You do what's comfortable for you!
0 Kudos
Beth

I have only told one very close friend and have shared with her that should I fail I would be more upset if I were teased and riduculed and she understood completely. She is a smoker as well and so I know she does understand and is being very supportive. The bottom line is that this is about me and ME, however there are those people---we all have them---that pry and make that ONE comment that somehow sticks to us and right or wrong, we hang onto it and use it when we need to make ourselves feel bad. I am trying to choose not do that. I want to trust those I can, ignore those I can't and do what is best for my body and mind.
0 Kudos
tempest

haha I hope this does well, I just read onthe EX page that one should tell everyone they know that they are quitting. Because not telling will make the quit easier to fail. I can see what they are saying, but I really feel diffrent about it . We will see.
0 Kudos
tempest

Very empowering words!!!
0 Kudos
edith2

haha! The ones that are still smoking have no argument. They know that we're doing the right thing! I believe that everyone who smokes deep down wants to quit. I know I did. You're right, they are jealous. And misery loves company. They aren't weak minded, they are just in denial. I feel I must be kind and leave the door open to smokers regardless of how they feel about me. One friend of mine said if she ever decides to quit, she would come to me for help. I never say anything bad to her about her smoking. She already knows.
0 Kudos
debbie-veik

I've told several people. The people in the office, as my office manager smokes, but my boss and his wife don't, and her grandma just went rounds with cancer, so they are really supportive. The office manager tried to quit about 2 weeks ago cold turkey and was a MESS. I mean bawling and depressed??? She says it's gonna be awhile before she tries to quit again, but I'm hoping i can help once I get some "free time" under my belt.

I've also told a couple of friends who thought I'd quit already, after I had my daughter I did quit for about a month, but then went right back.....guess I never told them!!! LOL

I guess, I'm just not really caring who I tell, If if comes to mind I tell them what I'm up to....I just moved to Bellevue Ne from my home town so I don't have TOO many close friends who REALLY know whats going on in my life!
0 Kudos