teri-smith

New quitter

Discussion created by teri-smith on May 27, 2008
Latest reply on May 29, 2008 by Jaded
Hi, My name is Teri and I've been 3 days without a cigarette. I'm soon to be 42 years old and have smoked since I was 13 years old. I'm married to a wonderful man who has NEVER smoked and I have a 6 year old daughter. I am number 5 of 6 kids and all but 1 of us has smoked cigarettes. Right now only 1 of my siblings still smokes. I have been on the NicodermCQ patches since Mon. the 26th. They are helping. I was never a closet smoker and I really don't consider myself an Ex....yet.I'm not sure which site I belong to. It's been tough these last few days but i'm getting through with the help of hard candy and sheer determination. What now? I have a few health issues that are making my resolve stronger. I'm determined to stay smoke free. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with the beginnings of Emphasema. That SHOULD have made me quit then, but I kept on. Not long after, I watched my father-in-law die of Emphasema and COPD. On his death bed I promised him I would quit. I didn't keep that promise then. I also have severe allergies with Virtigo and have been having a really hard time of it the last 2 weeks.
The cigarettes have always made my allergies worse and on Memorial Day I had finally had enough. I threw away a full pack and went straight to the store and got the patches. My plan is to NEVER put another cigarette in my mouth as long as I live. I'm so tired of feeling bad. Of not having any energy to play with my daughter. And I'm tired of poisioning her with my nasty habit. I don't want her to smoke and the one sure way of keeping her smoke free is to be smoke free myself. Thanks for listening and I welcome anyone who wants to talk.

Teri

Outcomes