cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

edith2

what I meant to say........

Don't let your addiction to smoking change your mind. The biggest obstacle I had to overcome was fear. I see people setting their quit date for weeks in advance. The longer you wait, the weaker your motivation to quit gets. Do it asap. This is an addiction that tells us we don't have one. The fear to quit is certainly there, but don't let it stop you from having a better life of being smoke-free.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
edith2

Thank you Debbie! Yeah, I did the same thing you did. I've seen people set a date in November and even December and it's only Oct. 1! That would give me such a big chance to change my mind! Congrats on your two weeks! I believe you'll be successful at this!
0 Kudos
edith2

This is a message sent to me by Hugs1969:

Hi
thanks for the invite.I know what you mean, I hear it all the time get ready to quit. you need to be ready before you quit smoking. Ok how do ya get ready to quit???

how long dose it take to throu your cigs away?
You just got to do it. Every time I tried in set a quit date. That date came in went. I just woke up one morning in said i'm not going to smok any longer. And I haven't".
I think the most in impotent thing any one can do is to safegard there quit. Don't let anything come between you in your quit. I learned that from a friend on this site. It has really helped me' I hope it will help others that read this. good luck .
0 Kudos
denice2

I have to agree 100%! When u set a date to far in the future,you have to much time to change your mind. We all know,we have 101 reasons not to quit!! The support on this site, is nothing short of amazing and overwhelming. Why not take advantage of something sooooo beneficial to your quality of life,.....and IT'S FREE! This is only the first day for me,but Im hanging in there. DON'T WAIT,JUST DO IT!!! The resources and the community is here. If you get weak,log in and hit the panic button!! I've had to do it several times today. Hey Edith,great group name!!

I haven't had one cig all day,that's a chore for an X smoker like me...Day 1 is almost over for me,day 2,3,4,& 5 is where I really get weak....cross your fingers for me guys!! GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!
0 Kudos
sheebs

I am from Wisconsin, so I can honestly say that I have been to HELL, Hell, Wisconsin that is, it is a quaint little town!!!That is exactly how the sign looks in the winter too!! As to the discussion on quit dates, I set several and would only last a day or two, or I would keep telling myself that I would quit tomorrow, finally 17 days ago I had just had enough, crushed and threw out the rest of my pack and said thats it, I'm done, and I haven't had one since. Congrats to all of you for quitting, and remember that we are all so much stronger than those little white sticks!!!!!!
0 Kudos
nancy41

Thanks for the invite! If I wouldn't have set my quit date I would probably still be smoking.
0 Kudos
alice6

I liked the setting a date. It gave me time to start putting off each cigarette a little longer, to change my habits of where I smoked and to mentally prep myself for the challenge. I had tried to quit multiple times on a whim or after smoking my brains out for two or three days, or during bronchitis, etc. It never worked. Working the becomeanex program once I set my quit date is what worked for me. I have been smoke free for 17 days and it has been awesome! I can truly say that I will never smoke again for the rest of my life.
0 Kudos
charly

Day 1 is almost over for me too! I agree. I had planned on quiting the 11thof this month, but I woke up and knew today was the day.
0 Kudos
edith2

Thank you for your comment Marisa! Yeah, I remember when I threw away my cigarettes.......I had half a pack left and I threw them in a dumpster where I couldn't dig them out. It was very hard for me too. All I could think was "OMG! I can't believe I'm doing this!" The cravings were horrible! But I got through it with the support of others. I'm soooo glad that my son was with me the first week. He was a great support.
0 Kudos
Theresa11

Thanks for inviting me Edith. The more groups the better. My quit date is Oct. 6th. Started chantix and have had trouble sleeping ,but I'm working on it. Chantix truly makes you not want to smoke so with that I will start another day cutting down. Thanks again.
0 Kudos