cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

feline11

Just A "Regular" Mom

I joined Become an Ex not too long ago (maybe 3 days), because I know its time to quit! I hate smoking...every time I smoke I feel guilty and ugly and stupid. I smoked a little during both of my pregnancies. By a little, I mean, maybe half a cigarrette in a day, but nevertheless, I was smoking. My 6 year old daughter hates it, my son is only 2 months old, so he can't object. But all I have to do is see his face to know that I'm wrong. I promised my daughter she would never see me smoking again, which to her meant I would quit. To me it meant I had to hide from then on. I don't know why I smoke, I think its because everyone around me smokes....I grew up in a house full of smokers, my mom, my siblings, my aunts and uncles, everyone. My husband smokes, I was in the Army, 95% of all soldiers smoke, or so it seems. I just can't seem to get away from cigarrettes! But I know that I have to quit. I must quit, for me, for my children, for God, and to prove to my family that it is possible. But it will be hard, because right now my husband is outside smoking, and I want to join him SO BAD....
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
milli2

Ask yourself do you like your life and the future it holds with your kids? The only person who can answer that is you.

The same is true for the smokers around you - it;s their choice not yours - you can only change yourself.

I finally got it as in "I need to stop for me" - no-one else can do this for me and how much do I want to live?

So it;s hard and the decision is yours - get through each craving one by one - don;t look at a day without smoking just the next craving then praise yourself for making it. See your self in the end Not smoking and hiding is just hiding it from you too.

We smokers (yes myself included) know this and blame everything - guilt does not help be proud of each victory and the next one will come. Chew regular gum, breathe deeply, sip a hot drink do whatever gets you through the inital pang of the craving and then be proud of yourself - you can and will do it.

I'm on two weeks now but each day it gets easier and staying active in the mind and busy in the hands keeps me on track. But believe me I still want one - lol !!! Hey I rejoice I just got through another craving two minutes ago!!

Hang on in there and by example you may give strength to those around you to quit too - it's their choice so no guilt OK.
0 Kudos

I can totally relate. My seven year old tells me all the time how bad smoking is and that I could die and that he hates it. Everytime he says that to me it makes me want to cry and I feel like the worst mother in the world for not having the strength to just throw them away. But this program sounds like it may actually be the one that could work for me because I think that retraining my brain to be a nonsmoker is exactly what I need. Just like any other addiction all we can do is take it one day at a time and do our best. We are only human after all and not superhero's with the obvious exception to being supermoms.:) Just keep trying and looking to others like us for support. Good luck and hopefully we can chat sometime and maybe help each other for us and our children.
0 Kudos
feline11

Do you use any medications? I am considering it, but am hoping I can just do it on my own.
0 Kudos
feline11

Thanks for responding! I guess its the age they teach children that smoking and drugs are bad, and what a contradiction to them, to see their mommy smoking, right? I am open to chatting, it would be a great help and a great distraction when I want to smoke...I am on messenger, [email address removed]

Edited by Mark to remove contact information. Please only share contact information via private messages with trusted members.

0 Kudos
melissa9

Hey let me tell ya something. My hubby smokes too he was at 2 packs a day since I have started quitting and have quit he has started cuttin back. I didnt' tell him to tho. He is now at half a pack a day. Youwere in the Army honey if you can deal with that stuff you can stop smoking. Believe in yourself and remember....With God all things are possible
0 Kudos