cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

andrea30

3 Days Quit

I've finally done it. I was supposed to quit on September 1st, but decided "why wait". I was ready and I'm feeling good about it. I'm on day four and feeling pretty strong. I read a book that really helped me out and has gotten me into the best mind set I could possibly be in to do this. I've only had one really big craving and I was able to get through it so I'm happy.
My husband hasn't quit yet but he is being incredibly supportive. I'm sure he's going to quit when it's his time. I think he's a little worried about quitting right now because he's actually quit a few times. And every time I haven't quit with him and I drew him back in every time. I think he's waiting to see if I really do it this time. Which I will and then I think he will quit. With us trying to have a baby starting in October I'm hoping he will begin his quit before then, but like I said he will find the right time for him.
I just have to be strong for myself and do this quit for myself and no one else.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

That's great! What book is it?
0 Kudos
michele7

Andrea - what book did you read that helped you?
0 Kudos
andrea30

I read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. There are parts of it that I didn't necessarily agree with, but most of it was great. It just got me really mentally prepared for stopping. I have tried quitting a few times before and it has never been as easy as it has been this time. I'm now on day 7 and I have not even taken a single puff. Cravings have been there, but they have been pretty minimal. I recommend giving it a try. The worst you'll be out is a few bucks to by the book. Good luck ladies.
0 Kudos
michele7

Andrea - I realized that I had bought that book a year or so ago and dug it out tonight to reread. I plan on quitting on Sept 8 as I will be on a business trip and no one knows I smoke at work ... perfect time to really do it. Keep it up! Are you using anything to help you like the patch?
0 Kudos
kirsten2

Awesome book Andrea. I read that too. Definitely puts you in a different mindset. By the time I was done with it I understood nicotine isn't precious, it's repulsive and I wasn't really giving anything up by quitting.

Congrats on deciding to start a family! Great time to quit smoking. I think you'll do fine this time. Babies are a real motivator. I know a ton of women who dropped smoking like a hot brick when they decided to start trying or found out they were pregnant. They made it look easy. I bet you will too!
0 Kudos
andrea30

No I'm not using anything to help me out, but I've been doing ok. I don't want to use any of the medical things because I won't be able to use them once I get pregnant so I didn't want to use that as a crutch now and not be able to use it later.

I hope the book helps you out. The author actually says to keep smoking while you read the book and quit once you are done reading. Sounds weird but the thought process is actually genius. So right now will be the perfect time for you to read the book. I ended up quiting 3 days earlier than I planned because I finished the book and thought it would be pointless to buy 2 more packs of cigarettes just to get to my quit day.

Good luck on quitting. Just let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Drop me a line if you're having a rough go at your quit or just need to chat.
0 Kudos