cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

renee22

wanting to quit

Hello, I'm new to the EX team. I'm a mother of 3 children ages 15, 9, 7. I want to quit for them as well as me. My 15 yo son told me good luck but he knows I won't make it past a week. My quit date is Aug. 31. So with this kind of support at home, I need to find support somewhere else. Please help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
christine9

Hi Renee I am also new to ex team! I have two small boys 4 and almost two with another on the way. I quit today..it has now been 16 hours! I have been smoking for about 12 years, pack a day. I always knew I needed to quit, my parents smoked my whole life; I guess that is why I thought it was ok when I started(at age 15). Since then both of my parents, along with about 7 others in my family have quite! I was the only smoker left! One reason is I do NOT want my boys thinking it is ok to smoke. And if they ever did smoke I would feel like it is my fault! Hope you too can make the commitment and win at this battle! Good luck with everything!
0 Kudos
renee22

I know what you mean. My dad died from a stroke, which I feel was cause from smoking 3 or more packs a day. My hubby told me our son came to him and asked if he could smoke. Thank God he reminded him that he has asthma and smoking would make it worse. Hubby also asked him if he still wanted to play football? Well, what 15 yo would say no. Then he told him that if he picked them up he wouldn't be able to play because he wouldn't be able to breath.
0 Kudos
ladyfyrestorm

I too am new to the EX team. I'm a mother of a 4 year old that I have caught, recently, pretending to smoke like mommy and daddy. That is one of a 100 reasons that I am quitting the other big reason being that I want another child...but that is gonna take some real commitments on my part to make happen. I decided that I would try using the forums and support here as I approach my quit date....which is September 1st. This is part of a plan to have my body ready to try getting pregnant again in 2009. I am happy to help someone else as I help myself quit. My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin to use as the medication for helping with cravings (since I had a prior bad experience with Chantix).

My way of preparing for the quit date is eleminating one cigarrette a day between now and then.....since I am smoking around 15 a day or so. This is easy now....but will get a little harder each day. I am choosing this method, cause frankly, cold turkey will have me ready to choke someone! lol

The other help I have is that my husband and neighbor are quitting with me. We all have reasons to quit, I am just initiating the date. I am hoping that we can support each other through the tough moments.
0 Kudos
katie31

I found this site to be very helpful for information, reading other experiences, and getting advice. You will be amazed how many hours pass by (smoke-free) while reading and writing on this site. Ask for support or help and you will receive it. Good luck to you and congratulations for heading in the right direction towards a smoke-free life,the benefits are AMAZING!!!!!
0 Kudos