cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

freedom14

How to change your mind set on moving from a smoker to a non-smoker

It would be interesting to hear the types of exercises, books, activities that worked for the smokers that are now non-smokers to change the thought process and become a non-smoker for good.  I never dreamed that after being smoke free for 3 years that I would relapse.  But here I am.  I really want to be an non-smoker again. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
candace16

I'm not a survivor.yet, but Ii plan to be.  I'm 13 days Smoke free. We need to keep going forward, that's what I'm doing to keep my sanity. Anyone out here?

0 Kudos
amyc2

Hi, I am a new member, 8 years after breast cancer treatment. I feel a lot of shame around my continuing to smoke - lots of quitting over the years, just don't stay quit... yet. I feel isolated with this as I "hide" my smoking from most people, thus the shame. I have developed a horrid cough in the past six months and don't want to face an even worse diagnosis than cancer. I hope to find lots of support here and be support to others, as well. So many people have been successful with stopping forever, why not me/us? Thanks.

SwimmingKate

I can totally relate to that shame.  I also hide my smoking from most people.  That also means that there aren't many people that I feel comfortable opening up to about the struggle to quit.  It sounds like you are more than ready to quit.  You can do it.  We can do it! I'm only quit for 2 days, but so far this group has helped me so much.  It's been a place that I can actually see that there are other people that found it difficult to stop forever.  I think that the key is that it truly is One Day At A Time. Congratulations on quitting.  You got this! There are so many helpful and encouraging people here rooting for us!

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

For me it has was learning about the brain receptors ...that if I continued to smoke I would continue to feed them and the craves would never end....no matter if I cut back or anything. The only answer was to 'go through'.

I will have 4 years in September. I cannot imagine ever giving up this freedom.

When I quit I jumped on a mini tramp as I went through bad crave moments. I walked...power walked, every morning rain, snow or shine. Really hilly area, so it was quite a workout...4-5 miles...I mixed it up. Some days one ,mile.

I read Allen Carrs book. LIFESAVER for me.

I came here and read blogs...lots and lots and lots of blogs.

I worked on planning a healthier version of me and puts action to those thoughts. I quit thinking about it and did it.

Prepare....get an understanding of this addiction. Read Carrs book ( short read and unlike any other ). Have a plan of action ready for whatever triggers that make you want to smoke.

Come here. I am glad your here now....One Day at a time...its all we ever have.  You can do it.

One final thought :

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got. I remember thinking when I had failed on my quit before I understood the addiction, I was so disappointed I had smoked and I wanted badly to have those quit days back......I never remember WANTING to be a smoker...I only remember how badly I wanted to be a NON-smoker. I assume you feel the same.

Stay close to the site, we are here for you