cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

apriliris

Quitting on New Years

I am quitting on New Years Day because it is a beginning of a New Year and I want it to be a beginning of a new life. I have been smoking for 35 years and amazingly don't have any health problems from smoking all these years. However, I do have several other health problems - migraines, fibromyalgia, a ruined knee and ankle from military service, and just discovered an incinsional hernia from 2 C-sections 19 and 21 years ago. The hernia requires surgery. I am going to start going to a pain management clinic for my constant pain. I kept waiting for a time when the stress wasn't so bad, but I don't see a time like that in the near future. Maybe the time and money I will have back when I quit smoking will help with the stress. Everyone around me is willing to help me quit - I'm lucky in that. Good luck to everyone. Here are a couple of things that I am going to try when I quit. There is an acupressure trigger point at the very top of your ear - if you put your thumb on the inside and your pointer finger on the outside of your ear - you can feel a small triangluar area - this is called the Shin Man or Spirit Gate. If you press on it, it will help dispel cravings of all kings. Another thing I am going to use is sipping ice water through a straw - I just saw an article that says scientists have discovered that taking small sips of ice water through a straw can dispel cigarette cravings!

April

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
kris6

Hi April!  I'm with you.... been an on and off smoker for 35 years.... about 10 years total off..... but want to stop for good!  I watched my mom die of lung cancer and I think about it everyday.  Its awful.  I have no health issues (that I know of! 🙂 except for high blood pressure......  I want to make this year a good year by starting off, like you all... on 1/1/11.

Good Luck to all of us!  I pray we make it!

0 Kudos
dbrook

Hi April and Kris I'm also with you both. I have smoked for 35 years and I also live with a smoker.  I wishing us all good luck.

0 Kudos
kelliann

I too smoked for 35 years... I am totaly ready to quit for good tomorrow Monday January 3, 2011!!!

0 Kudos
bson9b7

I am quitting today (2nd) for the 10th and last time! I  am on the patch which helped me quit 15 yrs ago and will hopefully do the trick again. Unfortunately, I do not have the friend/coworker around that I quit with orginally..

0 Kudos
rattler

I'm on Day 3, first day back to work.  Managed to get through tailgating without smoking but decided to stop alcohol for the first 30 days anyway as it is my biggest trigger.  Find myself very short with co-workers.  Decided to shut my door so I'm not mean to anyone.  Drinking lots of water and chewing gum like crazy.  Still no cigs since midnight 12/31.

0 Kudos
angel51859

Day 7 for me! 1 week!  I chew gum suck lollipops and and mints.  One day a time is a powerful tool ! and the power of prayer! works wonders for me!

0 Kudos