cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

christopher3

Is anyone using the patch and gum?

This is my 4th time attempting to quit. These attempts have all been in the past couple of weeks. I started using only the patch, but have now started using gum as well. I was hoping after a few days that my urges would decrease (and I guess they have a bit) but every morning and after I eat, I have an extreme urge to smoke. It's literally day-by-day. I'm on day 8 now. Thanks!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
lauren22

Christopher,

I quit many times mostly unsuccessfully, but one time I quit for a year and this time it's almost 4 months. But for me this is the final quit! I have used everything under the sun to try to quit and I found I was more successful when I ignored the urges to smoke and just moved on. I tried Zyban and that gave me the shakes so bad I looked like a freak of nature; so, I went back to smoking then. I used the gum in multiple flavors and I couldn't stand the taste; so, I went back to smoking. I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about Chantix, but overall the good outweigh the bad. I have also been most successful when I used the patch. This last time I quit I had pneumonia and it almost killed me, and my doctor said if I don't quit I'm going to get emphysema. So I bought the patch, smoked up the last of the cigarettes, had a few puffs when I first quit, but now I haven't had a cigarette since 01/27/2008! So best of luck on your quit! You can do it! Stay strong and breathe freely!

I have been quit for 3 Months, 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 12 hours, 29 minutes and 12 seconds (119 days). I have saved $582.65 by not smoking 1,792 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 5 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/27/2008 11:30 PM

Lauren
0 Kudos
Tinalbowser

It is mostly mind over matter. You have to tell your cravings that. You are not going to give in. You don’t control my life. I’m better than nicotine   Yes it’s very very hard to stop. But once u understand that it’s all in your brain. You can control the urge much better. Breathe. Take a walk. Talk to yourself. Tell yourself positive things. You are a ex-smoker. You will not feed the nicotine demon no more it will die once you stop feeding it..... You can overcome this. We all can. There is no reason to continue to smoke. Nope. 

0 Kudos