cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

mike-williams

Im new to this posting and discussion thing but here it goes.

I started taking chantix again about 3 weeks ago. I had taken it before and it had worked really well for me. quit for almost 2 months but really had no plan to keep myself from going back to smoking and as soon as i got around my friends i caved and started back up. Anyway, i've had really gnarly side effects from the drug this time around. the biggest thing is feeling exausted all the time, i can barely keep my energy up at work to function, i've tried to counter it with caffeene but it doesnt seem to help, also i feel (for lack of a better word) depressed. I've heard from friends that it can be pretty bad on your emotional state while on the drug and i think im experiencing that first hand. i stopped taking it for a few days now and feel almost euphoric not being on it. Trying to determine if the good outweighs the bad with this medicine, anyone else going through the same thing?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
debby4

did you have the same side effects when you took it before? I sure hope you are able to work this out and get & stay quit...it's so important but Chantix can be gnarly (as you said). so far I haven't had any ill effects but I'm not taking the full dosage yet either. I do remember from past quits that I was tired (exhausted actually) and depressed--and that was without meds. Not sure if this was helpful, but want you to know you have lots of support here. Hang in there & call your doctor about the side effects if they persist!!!
r0ses

I have used chantix and it worked wonders for me. I only felt tired when I smoked. Since I have quit smoking, i have never had this much energy ever, in 13 years!!!! Let me warn you from my experience - STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE!! I tell you the caffeine makes it worst for you and harder to stay off the cigarettes. Avoid sodas, ice tea, coffee - anything with caffeine and you will not get the urge to smoke. and try working out... nothing too strenous and i promise you that you will get that energy. ALWAYS get 8 hours of sleep every night and watch your diet.. and you will win this war. My cousin invited me to hang with him and friends last saturday - my first time hanging out with a smoker since i have quit. I controlled my drinking, didnt get drunk.. and was able to stand up to that temptation and i didnt smoke. I wish I can share my story with everyone, but you have to be determined to quit. And take it one day at a time. I will never smoke another cigarette again.

For the first couple of weeks on chantix, i did still smoke, but i smoked less. so dont be too hard on yourself. eventually you will realise that smoking is so senseless, stay on the medicine as prescribed to you and you will be fine. 🙂
0 Kudos
r0ses

Everyone on chantix have to remember, chantix isnt a miracle pill. You have to be ready to stop smoking. Chantix works on the receptors in your brain when you abstain from smoking... in a nutshell, it controls the angers and agitation you get when you want to smoke. Chantix also blocks the receptors in the brain so you dont get pleasures of smoking. It doesnt work for you overnight... it takes time. You have to will yourself to stop and allow the chantix to help you stop smoking. Take the medicine as prescribed by your doctor and do not miss your dosages. Watch what you eat, and pay attention to what triggers your smoking cravings. For me, caffeine triggered my smoking - so I avoided all things caffeine. My cousin told me that when he drinks alcohol, he craves smoking because they sort of go hand in hand. Everyone is different, you have to know what is best for you.

If you really put your mind to it, and eat properly, avoid all junk and fast food, exercise, drink tons of water, get 8 hours sleep and take your chantix as prescribed - you can be like me - smoke free for the last 45 days and never go back to smoking!!!!!