cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kirsten2

I'm certifiable

Hello All,

I'm new to this group. I wasn't really sure which forum to join, but since I have kids and they're one of the reasons I'm quitting....I figured this was a good place to start.

I have actually always detested smoking....up until my husband and I hit some hard times. He started smoking 4 years ago and I decided it must be working for him so I took it up about 8 months ago (at age 31. Ya, I should know better). At first I thought, no biggie. I can't be addicted yet. (I'm soooo SMART!) But after 4 or 5 failed quit attempts in the last 8 months, I'm feeling like a total failure.

We both decided to quit together a few times, but this last time I joined Become an Ex and we quit on August 20th. I picked up the nic gum, but because I don't smoke that much or inhale that deeply, the 2mg was too strong for me. I stopped taking it after 2 days, but then suffered from extreme dizziness and a heavy-headed feeling for days. My coworker who is a 2 pack a day smoker suggested I just try one cigarette to see if it was the withdrawal or something more serious.....so I tried one. (Yeah, I'm shaking my head too.)

Now, for the past 2 days, I've had nearly a pack. I bought one last night and after 2 cigs I soaked the rest of the pack. Then this morning I tried to dry them out. lol. (I really hate admitting that, although, luckily, it didn't work.)

This is ridiculous. For the first week, I was fine. No cravings. Relearned my habits easily. (granted I'm sort of a closet smoker....ashamed for people to see my smoking so never smoked in public, around family, etc. Just a few at work sneakily and then some at home with my husband after the kids went to bed.)

I'm tired of the failure rate here. I typically relapse because my coworker sanctions all things nicotine. He even hands them out to random people on the street because he believes no person should be without a cigarette. (He also believes smoking doesn't cause disease or cancer and it's all a conspiracy.) So, as soon as he gets wind that I quit, he starts putting cigs on my desk. This time I was strong enough. I had no problem turning him down....up until I started have dizzy anxiety attacks.

I feel like this is really retarded. Anyone know how to get addicted to exercise or carrots? Something more beneficial....

Ugh.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kirsten2

I thought I would be too! 🙂 I've actually already quit. I quit August 20th, slipped and smoked again on the 29th and 30th (a few each day) and then quit again on the 31st. So far so good. I don't really have cravings except that my coworker smokes every hour. I usually get up and go down with him just to get off my rear end for a few minutes. I find it difficult about then, but the last time I broke and had one I felt sick to my stomach. There's no pay-off in it. I'm just a rebel without a cause! lol

One problem I'm running into is everyone around me, even non-smokers, keep telling me how the studies and statistics are inflated....smoking doesn't cause any problems....it's all genetics...yadda yadda yadda. I've always known smoking was bad for you, but they're arguments areconvincing. Therein lies my problem. I'm listening to addicts talk about how the drug is FINE. lol

Thanks for your reply Tanya. 🙂
0 Kudos
rachel17

Certifiable,
As almost anyone with an addiction will tell you, I have done similar things to these and worse I'm sure. Digging partially smoked cigs out of my ashtray or even my trash when trying to quit, How gross is that? I have tried to stop several times in the last few months sometimes only quiting from one cig to the next. The first time I smoked as a teen I think it made me loose my lunch. Now why would I want to try that again? I am certain that I would have to be insane to do any of these things. Maybe we will all be sane again soon? We just need to keep trying.
0 Kudos
kirsten2

I love it Tanya! lol I'm soooo on it.
0 Kudos