cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

debbie11

Side Effects

I started Chantix on Feb 22. My quit date was Feb 29. Since then I had a few slip-ups but I am now completely smoke free for 4 weeks now. I don't even have any urges anymore.

When I first started my Mom had passed away Jan 10. I would have crying bouts but just thought they were normal...still may be. On top of it all I am going through menapause. Can it be any worse LOL.

I get terrible upset stomach/indigestion and constipation. And have had a few wild dreams. (Most of them someone dies).

So the main topic here is......is it the Chantix? I'm sure it has contributed to these side effects but part of them are just life. My husband and son are also taking Chantix. Neither one of them has any side effect except gas. My son has been smoke free for 3 months and has quit taking Chantix. My hubby started with me and is smoke free for 4 weeks with me.

PS and I've gained 13 lbs
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
dana23

Hi Debbie,

I am on day 14. I have had some issues with the Chantix as well. Wild dreams, upset tummy ect.. I am also going through Menapause. I was almost symptom free until I decided to quit smoking. I am now having horrible hot flashes and night sweats again...and I am hungry all the time.

Stay strong!

Dana
0 Kudos
suzan

If you have any doubts at all about Chantix, make sure you have a Psychiatrist, not a regular MD, monitoring you. If you don't have problems with side effects, it's probably the most powerful quit smoking tool available today. Hard to believe, but for some people, the side effects of Chantix can be worse than smoking.

I was in love with Chantix last summer because I actually made it for 5 weeks without cigarettes for the first time in 30 years. The nausea/vomiting/gastroentestinal effects were pretty bad, and I had to leave work several times. The nightmares were disturbing. However, I was so thrilled to be off cigarettes that I persevered.

When I went past simply having bad dreams and actually got up in the middle of the night to participate in them without being aware of what I was doing, my family and I recognized that it had gone too far. Chantix also pitched me into a really nasty clinical depression. Even with medical intervention, it took months to unwind from that depression so that I could gear up for my next attempt to quit.

I've been online (on and off) since 1980 (no that isn't a typo), so I know the power of the on-line community. That's why I'm here...because I need fellow ex-smokers to talk to. However, I've also learned the limitations. When it comes to Chantix, the board is a great place to discuss whether the nite sweats are meds or menopause. Anything more serious requires a doctor's interpretation. Please, please, please, if you have any doubts at all, find a psychiatrist!

About me: I'm mostly not smoking, and hope to be a confirmed ex-smoker soon. I'm working with a combination of yoga, meditation, exercise, diet, talk therapy, nicotine patch and some form of anti-depressant. (Haven't quite got the right med/dose down yet...but I think I'm close.) And people call nicotine a "habit" (ARG!)

Take care,

Susan
(who is using the ID Suzan to avoid confusion)
0 Kudos
debbie11

Thanks for the info. I am at my point where my doctor is just fine at monitoring me. I just got my refill for another 4 weeks and if I don't smoke between now and then it's bye-bye Chantix and cigarettes. I certainly hope I don't go psycho between now and then as I work with 3 mentally challenged adults and stay with them for 5 days at a time. I am the house manager. I figure if I ain't crazy by now chantix ain't got nothin for me I can't handled LOLOLOLOL

3 weeks 4 days smoke free and counting... I even feel like an ex-smoker
0 Kudos
rosa

Not smoking and off of chantix for over a month. I love what you guys are doing, keep it up it works be strong, love ya all
0 Kudos