cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Checking in...

I had to check my Quit Keeper because I had no idea how long it had been since I quit.

I have been quit for 4 Months, 1 Day, 8 hours, 22 minutes and 31 seconds (123 days). I have saved $314.43 by not smoking 1,850 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 10 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 6/21/2008 12:30 AM

I thought the only way I could quit was to take medication but, and this is only for me not an assumption of anyone else, I felt that took the spotlight off the addiction and put it on the 'cure' thus giving me a crutch and enabling me to the addiction if the medicine failed.

Believe it or not, it wasn't until I came on Become An Ex and started researching the addiction, the symptoms, etc...the more I understood how it worked, the easier it has been to stick with my quit.

I'm not saying it was a cake walk, there was a moment in the beginning where I posted, "I think I'm going to have to take a NRT because the cravings are too strong." Thankfully an EX friend talked me out of it, reminding me that once I quit smoking I'd have to quit the NRT, so why not just keep going with cold turkey. They also reassured me the cravings would cease...which they did! Whew!

Every other time I quit, it was easy to start up again, but I noticed this time my mentality is different...I honestly do not want to smoke. I see the false cravings for what they are, by products of the chemicals in the cigarettes and I like not smelling bad and not being self conscious when I give a friend a hug, I can relax when I'm out rather than scanning for the smoking areas, I can exercise without getting winded, etc... In fact, I have friends who still smoke and as easy as it would be to take even one drag, my throat aches in memory and I think about the disgusting taste.

So if you're just starting out, I know it's hard but hang in there! If you don't feed the cravings the receptors will turn off but even one drag will sustain them long enough to carry on the addiction. Remain positive and believe in yourself, even if those around you are non supportive you have us here.

If you're deep in your quit, congratulations! Keep up the good work and keep moving forward!

And if you slipped up, don't worry about it...we'll help pick you up, dust you off and get you back on that horse! You can do it!

Okay, well I'm gonna put aside my pom poms and get back to work. Everyone have a great smoke free day! --Karma

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sandi4

Hi Karma: Nice to hear SOMETHING from a member of this site. I was beginning to think no one lasted going cold turkey:)

I'm glad to hear of your success. What you said about having to quit an NRT in addition to cigarettes makes sense. I hadn't thought of that and now I know I made the right choice going CT.

Thanks for checking in and cheering us on.

Sandi...10 days smoke free.
0 Kudos

Wow, great job Sandi! Yeah, it's funny how just changing your perspective can change your whole attitude. I was telling a friend the other day that my problem with diets was always depriving myself and that I needed to change that attitude to the one I have for smoking...I'm not depriving myself of smoking, I'm choosing not to hurt myself with smoke and chemicals. So far the diet theory hasn't worked, but I'm still trying! lol

You'll know you're really over the hump when you're not counting the quit days.

Mail feature isn't working but feel free to comment me if you need some support.

All the best!--Karma
0 Kudos
peter-s.

Hi Everyone, I am back and still smoke free. I quit almost a year ago and it wasn't easy but it
did get easier as time went by. Good job Will. Are you still with us Sandi ? ~ Peter
0 Kudos
jodi8

Hi Karma:

Good/Great! Uplifting message for all.
Its been the same for me 3 months since the 27th. On and off smoker but different this time.
thank you for your support.
All the best
0 Kudos
Susan57

Nearing the beginning of month 8

0 Kudos