Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

test_108

How do i quit?

How do I quit smoking tobacco? 

Labels (2)
13 Replies
KellanC74

There are many ways to quit. We are here to support you on your journey   Make a plan. Reach out when you need extra support quitting 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   The best place to begin is to read all the material you can on the site My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX   Information on nicotine addiction, creating a quit plan, creating new behaviors and associations, tools to use, are all available to you for a successful quit. In addition, decide if you want to quit cold turkey, use nicotine replacement, or a medication.   Once you're prepared, begin your journey with the support from other quitters on this site.  We're here for you--just reach out to share your journey or if you need encouragement.   It takes work on your part, but like the rest of us, I know you can do it too.   

Barb

sweetplt

Hi test_108 and Welcome to Ex’s

You have gotten some great advice above me.  Remember to keep close to the support site.  We are here to help you.  This isn’t an easy journey, but with hard work and commitment you can do it...~ Colleen 822 DOF 

RoseH

Dear test_108   Go into my files and look up “The Quit Kit”.  It is from the old Quitnet and it helped many smokers become smoke free!  Having a support group to help you is paramount to success!  If I can quit smoking like a chimney, after 50 years... you can too!  The freedom I feel is priceless!

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do, for your health and well being.  I have a lot of posts in my files so feel free to browse and use them to help you learn all about the addiction to the drug Nicotine!

It is also a good idea to get yourself a quit buddy!  If I can help in any way, feel free to contact me!

Rosemary 

YoungAtHeart

WELCOME!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage. We have a weekly Trivia Contest you might like to try, too: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games/blog/2021/02/23/trivia-tuesday-02232021  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

indingrl

Thanks for asking and it was SUGGESTED to ME to read and read and read and pick what works for ME EDUCATION is one of the keys and - by reading all the info offered here by EXteam blogs and Dr Hays blogs and the blogs offered by the MAYO articles and all the peoples here- offering their own EXperience with their NICOTINE ADDICTION and what has HELPED them to STAY A NON SMOKER -  individually and then YOU - get to choose what works just for YOU - and then getting a NEW MINDSET - NEW ways to respond and learning HOW to live as a NON SMOKER - day by day with YOUR OWN QUIT TOOLS to cope with life on life's terms - I am SOOOOOOO glad you are here

Gai.C

Education is the Key. Understand Addiction. Read everything you can get your hands on. Make a plan and stick to it.  Decide how u want to Quit Nicotine Replacement or Cold Turkey. This is not a one size fits all situation. I used Praye and Patches. 

elvan

Stay close to the site, read everything you can find on this powerful addiction & KNOW that quitting is not an event, it is a one day at a time JOURNEY. You do not have to take it alone, we will all be here to support you in any way that we can.

Congratulations on your decision to quit.

Ellen

maryfreecig

How can I answer you? The literal answer is don't smoke anymore, not one. It's true, too. If you don't smoke or use tobacco anymore you will be quit. But I have a feeling that that is not the question you are asking. 

How did I quit? How did I get serious about quitting? How did I get through day one, then the next? 

Well in my book, planning for a few weeks, following that plan mattered. And telling myself that I had to give it everything I've got also helped. But I had no easy way out--most quitters don't. What worked for me, may not work for you.

Most of us have to face ourselves first and ask the question: if I'm going to quit, then how am I going to do that? And then we have to answer that question in detail. All the advice here at Ex won't help you, until you answer for yourself about whether you are willing to quit. It's not really about how to make quitting faster, easier, more certain. It's about what are you willing to do.

If you are willing, then there is a boat load of helpful hints for you to pick and choose from here at Ex and elsewhere online.