cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

dudley87

What’s the point of smoke aids if....

You just have to withdraw off those too? I mean, I’m thankful for them and happy for my nicorette gum. I haven’t chewed one in 3 days not intentionally yay! and now suddenly feel like I just quit smoking all over again. (I’m on week 7) and finally feeling amazing without all that brain fog crap. Now I’m dizzy and just feeling really yucky. 
I should have tapered off my gum but I don’t want to feel like this again in a few days and just a terrible cycle. Anyways, thanks for reading . I’m just ranting to mainly take my mind off how I feel right now so I don’t chew my gum because I won’t give into this cycle. Also I just finished all the psychological crap of not smoking and feel happy! I kinda felt Down there for a few weeks and binge ate greasy food. Now I’m back into exercising and TRYING to watch what I eat. I’m hard on myself... but it’s the only way I get shit done for myself. 
Ok I’m done, maybe I should go meditate 

Labels (2)
55 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I would be interested to know how much gum you were using and the strength.  The withdrawal from the gum should not be as difficult as withdrawing from full-time smoking, unless you chewed a piece for every cigarette you used to use smoke.  If it gets too difficult,  you might try weaning yourself off the gum instead of stopping it abruptly..  You can cut a piece in half, then quarters, then sub a mint of the same flavor for every fourth, then third piece, etc.  you use.

OR - you can hang in there, knowing it will get better and get through this withdrawal the best you can.  Your body is adjusting to life without the drug,and that takes some getting used to - but when that happens, you will only have the associations and triggers with which to deal.

I can advise you better if I know a little more!

Just don't smoke!

dudley87

I know I won’t smoke! I can get past this. I always just tell myself “this will pass, I won’t always feel this way” and it’s gone. I chewed 2 mg twice a day then once a day and then just kind of forgot? Maybe I do need to taper. It did pass. I feel normal now. That or maybe it was just one heck of a craving lol. Which hit me pretty hard if it was!! I definitely had to distract myself by ranting on here and then played a video game and before I knew it I wasn’t thinking about it anymore.  

YoungAtHeart

You did taper off of the gum and it's good you did.  There are tales galore of folks who used it to quit and became addicted to IT! 

There will be a period of withdrawal from it, but you seem to be doing OK with that, so I would continue to try not to use it.  All nicotine should be out of your system in about three days, then it's a few weeks while your body adjusts to life without it.  The psychological part of the addiction is, I think, the more difficult part - and it will help if you change up your routines to reduce the associations built up with smoking, stay busy, and immediately change your mind's direction when it starts in on trying to talk you into smoking.  Take slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, or count backwards from 10,000, or think of cities for each letter of the alphabet.  Do that for about three minutes and that crave should be gone.  The better you get at these things, the easier your quit will be.

You are DOING this!  How cool is that?

dudley87

Thank you! Still not chewing my gum and doing SO much better then that day. I just needed to ride it out. I feel so much better without the gum! 

sweetplt

dudley87 I quit “cold turkey”...so I don’t know enough about the quit aids, but I have seen from many here that it is important to follow the directions of the quit aids in order to wean off them...hope the withdrawal doesn’t last to long...hang in there....Colleen 814 DOF

Barbscloud

Glad you're feeling better now.  Rant anytime.   Aids have helped many successful quitters here.  It is important to follow the directions--agreed you should have tapered off, but if you're feeling ok now, just keep moving forward.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers and couldn't be happier--I'll have 3 years in couple of weeks.  

Big congrats on week 7.

Barb

I too quit cold turkey but Colleen(sweetplt) is right dudley87‌. Follow the NRT's suggested guidelines & usage. I worked with a fellow who had a 12 year quit & was still chewing 2-3 pieces of gum a day. It's been 6 years since I've had any contact with him but I would venture to say he's still at it.

Mn@ 001.jpg

dudley87

Wow! That is so crazy omg! I bet he still is! The gum is just another thing to get addicted too. It’s better than smoking for sure but after being so successful in quitting smoking it’s tough to try and get off the gum next! I’m gum free still and I feel so much better then I did the other day. 

Barbscloud

I'm glad you're doing well without the gum.  It is an excellent tool to quit smoking if instructions are followed  New quitters should not be discouraged from using aids--there are many successful quitters on this site that have used them all.

Number of people becoming addicted is exaggerated.  

National Health Institute

9. MYTH: Nicotine replacement products are as addictive as smoking

THE FACTS: Most people using NRT products do not become dependent on them. In fact, one of the biggest problems with NRT is that people don't use enough of it for long enough. It is important to use your nicotine replacement for as long as you need to stop you going back to smoking.

Most ex-smokers are able to effectively wean themselves off NRT after the recommended 12-week course. However, for those that continue to use NRT long-term, the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) says that ongoing use of nicotine containing products will be considerably less harmful than smoking