cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ashkyns1

Second quit

This is my second time quitting I quit for 10 years the first time. This time I'm determined to quit forever it's been about 50 hours since I had my last cigarette

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Treehugger85

Awesome!  Well you proved to yourself once, you can do it again.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

It's great that you are back at it!  This CAN be your final quit - but first I suggest you really think about what caused you to make the decision to smoke after such a long and successful run at it.  Then make a plan NOW what you will do differently if a like emotion/circumstance occurs during this quit.  Better prepared!!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage. We have a weekly Trivia Contest you might like to try, too: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games/blog/2021/02/23/trivia-tuesday-02232021  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

DO stay close, you have gotten to ten years, you clearly know how to do this, I only have a little over seven, I cannot imagine how you feel having to start a quit over again.  If you need support or need to vent, we are here.  We all want you to succeed.  

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Giulia

I am really curious as to what made you relinquish a 10 year quit.  If you care to share that.  I'm about to hit a 15 year quit and I don't want to ever go back to another Day One.  When I hear of someone like you who is starting afresh, I really need to understand why you gave up your quit, if you know (probably no easy answer),  so that I don't fall into the same trap.  Any illumination you have to offer would be helpful.  Could be as simple as you forgot that we can't have just one.  How long have you been smoking since that 10 year abstinence?

Meanwhile, sorry you have to start up again.  But bravo on the 10 years you held fast to your commitment!  That is quite an accomplishment.

sweetplt

Welcome to Ex’s ashkyns1 

I am so happy you found our site.  I am sorry you lost a 10 year quit...because you were quit so long, you may have forgot but the early days are tough...but so doable....read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... Keep busy and/or rest ... listen to your body...except donot listen to the Nicodemon....come here for support ... we are here to help... You got this...~ Colleen 814 DOF 

0 Kudos