cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Haleyranaew

Need help pls

I am going to stop smoking after almost 20yrs and have a date set. I know me and I will forsure need some help with some kind of medication as they call it. What worked best for you??

Labels (1)
9 Replies
RoseH

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Haleyranaew 

I quit cold turkey so I am not familiar with a lot of the quit aids...but be sure on top of educating yourself on quit aids you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... and your prepare for your quit date like no other...read the blogs/posts here and educated yourself on quitting and addiction...lately come to the support site often, we are here to help you...~ Colleen 814 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  There are lots of aids to choose from.  Some like Welbutrin, Chantix, nicotrol inhalers require a prescription.  There are number of nicotine replacement delivery methods that are OTC.  Do some research if you feel you want to use one.  I used Welbutrin, nicotrol inhalers, a smoking cessation class and found the EX a week prior to my quit.  Whatever you decide, they are aids and you still have to do the work.  Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  In addition, having a support group the members on this site, can help with your quit.  I know it did for me. 

Barb

Here's some information I compiled:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/Barbscloud/blog/2020/02/01/nicotine-replacement-wrong-or-r... 

0 Kudos
Ready2021

you can do it what works for some may not work for you my first time was cold turkey now I'm back with 3 days smoke free feeling like crap but this site will be here for you whatever you choose  I use the lozenges 

KellanC74

I used chantix for six months when I first quit, reached out for help when I needed support, found something to do when I would normally have a craving, made a box of things to eat to help with the cravings, drank lots of water/other things.  Stayed away from caffeine as much as I could....coffee was not appealing to me when I first quit 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

What do you think will work best for you Haleyranaew ? Have you been come upon some ideas that seem good for you?

0 Kudos
Treehugger85

So far, the patches have helped me

BobKatt22

I used chantix, it helped me tremendously with the cravings. But I still had to do the work. I would not have been able to quit without Chantix 

elvan

I did not use anything but l have nothing against any of the aides. I got sick so my quit was something that HAD to happen right then. I had many, many failed quits in the past. For ME, the keys to success were education about nicotine addiction, support from others who knew EXACTLY what it was like to quit, and a plan for what l would do Instead of smoking when triggers hit. It was not all sunshine & flowers, but it DID get easier as l added days of freedom. It’s been over 7 years for me now & l am so happy to have found EX. It saved my quit & likely my life with all of what l needed in one place. You CAN do this. Welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos