cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

iamfreedom

Reset my quit date

I've reset my quit date.  I just didn't have hardly any preparation done. It's been a crazy couple months for me. Thank you very much for all the support. 

7 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome back.  Are you prepared now or preparing? Do you have a plan? Have you read the suggested material.  Have you created a toolbox?. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Ditto what Jackie said above me.  Preparation is the name of success.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I can help you get ready to quit!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome back stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can and we're rooting you on......

0 Kudos
indingrl

Awe your welcome NO worries I did the same back in MY past

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Glad you're preparing.  Educating myself about nicotine addiction and having a quit plan, made all the difference for me. Looking forward to celebrating you're journey with you.

Barb

0 Kudos
sweetplt

iamfreedom you have received some great advice above me...do the work...prepare, educate yourself, and be committed...also, come here to the support daily to get help and to encourage others on this journey ~ Colleen 809 DOF 

0 Kudos