cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

srobinson99

Quit day!

Today’s the day.  I’m 51, have been chewing for about 5 years.  Ready to move on.  
No cravings yet, today..

6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

No matter the delivery method, we ALL are nicotine addicts.  Whether it's dip or pouches or vaping or smoking, we are addicted to nicotine, and the way to get free is about the same.  You will need to substitute "dip" or "chew" as you do the reading I will recommend.  Knowledge is power and the better educated you become about this addiction, the more successful you will be.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you are using a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  This is a popular quit day--they're are several people beginning their journey today.   If you haven't do so already, educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Knowledge and preparation helps to achieve your goal.  We're here for you--just reach out anytime. 

Barb

Maki

Congratulations . 

A beautiful day to quit , one with special meaning , one of heart . 

Quitting is the best thing you can do . 

Great words of wisdom above . 

indingrl

DAY ONE nicotine freedom - GOOD JOB

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS! Stay close, read, be an active member of the site & remember when you post what you are feeling, you help those who are following you to see how it’s done. No matter where you are in your quit, you can offer help to others.

WELCOME TO EX!

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

How are you doing today?

Barb

0 Kudos