cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

CH11-30-20

Thoughts of wanting a smoke after quitting

Hi. This is my first post. I’ve been quit for 70 days as of today. I was a smoker on and off (mostly on) for probably around 15 years. In 2013 I became more of a regular smoker after I befriended someone I met during a work break. We would hang out a lot and smoking would just be something we would do. And honestly, I slowly became a functioning alcoholic while my mom was dying, and then passed away from cancer in 2011. There were other stressors in my life that contributed too at the time. My alcoholism got a bit worse as time went on. 

I quit smoking for a variety of reasons. I had tried before over the course of 3 years. I would think about quitting more and more as I got older. This time I quit because I was concerned for my future health, because of I was afraid of catching COVID, and because I developed GERD (acid reflux- smoking and drinking are triggers). I also felt that I had some shortness of breath while climbing stairs. That was never and issue for me before. Also, smoking and drinking went hand in hand. I would not smoke unless I was drinking coffee, or drinking alcohol. I drank more as I was furloughed for almost 4 months in the spring and summer.

I wanted to stop drinking so much too, and I knew if I quit, I would decrease that addiction at the same time. So I quit cigarettes November 30, and have barely had any alcohol since. 2 a week, if any at all. My GERD got much better over time— it’s almost gone. I lost 15 pounds which I attribute to the significant decrease in alcohol, and changing my diet because of the GERD. 

I broke up with my boyfriend of a year last week. He was a little bit of a bully. I suffer from depression, and it got worse during the pandemic and while I was with this person. I’m actually less depressed and feeling more confident with myself just a week into being single. I bought a 6 pack of hard cider on the day of my break up. I’d have one every day until it was done. I thought of smoking while drinking them maybe a few times. Not too bad I guess.

A few days before my break up, I hung out with the friend I mentioned above for the first time since I quit. We went for a walk and he smoked a few times. It was maybe the first time I smelled cigarette smoke after quitting, and then craved smoking myself. After learning that my ex was talking garbage about me last Saturday, I felt like having a cigarette. I didn’t buy any. And now that I’m feeling more or less good, I think of wanting a cigarette as well for some reason. I know I will regret it if I do, so I haven’t done anything about it. Hopefully I won’t ever.

I have thought, what if I just bum one from someone in the future if I feel like having one? Will I become hooked again? I used to think I enjoyed it for the most part. I wonder if bumming one would feel enjoyable, or just feel gross. I’d probably feel really guilty in the end, so I’m going to try my very best and think about NOPE. Plus, I’d have to change my username to this website as I quit on 11-30-20. Ha. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
34 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Congratulations on your decisions to quit drinking and smoking.  They DO go hand in hand, and trying to quit smoking while still drinking makes it more difficult.

To begin by answering your question:  as an addict there never, ever, EVER will be such as thing for you as just one puff or just one cigarette.  It is the law of addiction!  It will always, maybe not right away but always, lead you back to being a full-time smoker.  Just don't do it!

I don't know if you did any reading before you quit, but even after your successful quit start, I would still recommend you read, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking."  It will give you a LOT of information about how the addiction affects your body and mind, and might help you to remain quit in the future.

I also will give you some information about this period of time in your quit and why you might be having cravings again:  No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate).

I'm glad you found us.  Let us know if we can answer any other questions or if you need support.  It's what we do here!

Nancy

CH11-30-20

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your comments and knowledge, and for the recommendations! I found the “no mans land” post helpful. I actually have read maybe 2/3rds of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, and found it pretty helpful. I’ve started it maybe 3 times when I’ve tried to quit but never finished. I started again this time, but haven’t finished either. I guess in the back of my mind, I was always a little terrified of finishing the book, and then failing at staying quit. This time feels different though. I am working on myself quite a bit. I am on furlough again, but I’m using my time more wisely this this go around. I’m not smoking and drinking because I’m bored, which was a trigger for me. Maybe I will finish the book... it can only help, right?

Thanks again for your wisdom and support!!

MarilynH

Welcome to the community CH11-30-20 congratulations on 70 splendiferous Smokefree days and counting WTG YAY for Smokefree living and YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come, stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can keep moving forward stacking up those precious DOF ~ Days Of Freedom so each evening you can say YAY for another Day WON it's definetly not easy at times BUT thankfully with commitment and perseverance it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it to be Free.....

CH11-30-20

Thank you!!

sweetplt

Hi CH11-30-20 Christine and Congratulations on 70 days of Freedom...that is super...Honestly, if you give yourself permission to bum one...you will do it again...and eventually go back to smoking.  I lost two long quits because I was drinking and bummed one...next time I bummed two, then only buy pack when I drank and so on...before I knew it I was back to smoking...breaking the chain of addiction is definitely choosing NOPE...Thank you so much for sharing your journey to date...and will be so happy to see more posts in the future...wishing you a nice evening....Colleen 798 DOF 

CH11-30-20

Hi Colleen,

Thanks for your encouragement, wisdom, and advice! So good to know you’re and everyone’s advice on why not to have just one, ever. I will absolutely keep that in mind!

And congrats on not smoking for over 2 years!! I’m looking forward to a milestone like that. Take care!

Sootie

I think most of us on here will tell you that the answer to the question---can I just have one-----is no.

Smoking is an addiction and if you "feed" it.......it will stay around and grow. You'll have one and then what? That's it? No, it isn't. You know as well as we do that in an hour or a day or a week......you will have another one. Most of us have done this MANY times......trust us....just having one does not work.

Put them down and do not pick them up again. There will be good days and bad but you can do it. We all did and we are no different from you.

Stay Strong.

CH11-30-20

Thank you for reading my story and for your wisdom. I will keep that in mind!

elvan

Welcome to EX & congratulations on 70 days of freedom, you are DOING this. We are all here to help you in any way that we can. Stay close, read about this addiction, pay attention to advice being offered & KNOW that the longer you stay quit, the easier it gets. NOPE, Not One Puff Ever is the key to staying quit. Drinking & smoking go hand in hand.  It would just be harder to drink & not smoke. You are doing a great job, keep going, take care of your quit. 

Ellen