Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Pledge, Bonfires and Quit Celebrations: Traditions born from the members

Giulia

FEBRUARY DAILY PLEDGE 2021

What's In An Attitude?

Everything

IMG_4112S.jpg

What is your attitude towards quitting?  Are you resentful?  Sorry that you have to?  Are you gritting your teeth with every passing day?  Are you doing this for someone else instead of yourself?  If those are your primary thoughts, see if you can change that attitude, that perspective.

I don’t know one person who ever really wanted to quit, including myself.  (Oh, sure we want to quit, but if we had our druthers we’d happily smoke as long as there was no penalty to be had.)  Most know they SHOULD, and “should” is the pebble in the shoe that irritates.  Walk with that pebble long enough and eventually it creates a callus and we stop paying attention to it.  But every once in a while we step on it the wrong way and it reminds us that it’s there.  That pebble is our better self whispering “Yes, you can.”  I think that’s why relapsers can never again be satisfied smokers and always return to give quitting another go.  Quitters, however, CAN be satisfied non-smokers.

So how do we change our attitudes?  First we have to become aware of our thoughts.  We have the most powerful tool in the universe, our brains.  We can teach ourselves to control that brain rather than be the victim of it.  It takes work.  It takes awareness.  It takes desire.  It takes practice and patience and persistence.  Just like quitting.  Watch where your mind goes and when it starts heading in a direction you don’t like (such as craving thoughts) - catch it, observe, stop it, turn it, focus on something else. (Craving Buster Technique)  Come here and grab a hand.

We’re all on this journey together.  Be persistent.  It’s not just the new quitters who have to practice, the pros have to practice also.  We’re all practicing together on different levels in different playing fields.  But we’re all in the same game.

Play well.  Aim for that Best of you.  Promise not to smoke today and get that pebble out of your shoe.

===============================================================================

How to pledge: 

1. Go to top of page and click the link for Latest Reply.
    Or you can go to the last page by clicking on the last page of the pagination links.
  2. Click on the Reply bubble and make your pledge to the person at the end and then offer your free hand to the next pledge.
  3. You've made your pledge.  Come back tomorrow and pledge again.
  4. Check out this handy quit calendar to calculate your DOF!  EX Quit Calculator or check out My Quit Plan.

As you go through your day you know that you have these two people with you and all of you are keeping each other strong. How cool is that! 

=======================================================================

If these help you - use them.  If they don't - create your own.  (Thanks to Jim Taddeo for finding them.)

The Daily Promises

Daily Promises

Monday’s Promise: Responsibility
I will take complete responsibility for my health, my happiness, my success, and my life, and will not blame others for my problems or predicaments.

Tuesday’s Promise: Accountability
I will not allow low self-esteem, self-limiting beliefs, or the negativity of others to prevent me from achieving my authentic goals and from becoming the person I am meant to be.

Wednesday’s Promise: Determination
I will do the things I’m afraid to do, but which I know should be done.  Sometimes this will mean asking for help to do that which I cannot do by myself.

Thursday’s Promise: Contribution
I will earn the help I need in advance by helping other people now, and repay the help I receive by serving others later.

Friday’s Promise: Resilience
I will face rejection and failure with courage, awareness, and perseverance, making these experiences the platform for future acceptance and success.

Saturday’s Promise: Perspective
Though I might not understand why adversity happens, by my conscious choice I will find strength, compassion, and grace through my trials.

Sunday’s Promise: Faith
My faith and my gratitude for all that I have been blessed with will shine through in my attitudes and in my actions.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
336 Replies
Giulia

Gooooooooooood Morning Quitters!  I happily take SuzyQ411‌'s hand from the last day of January and promise not to smoke today.  No pebble in this shoe!  Reaching out my hand for the next to pledge likewise.  (5,450 smoke-free days and 28 days to go 'til my 15 Year Anniversary and I'm EXcited!)

dsprague

I graciously take the pledge not to smoke today or any day and would like to take another person on the journey.

sweetplt

Good Monday Morning dsprague I will gladly take your hand and pledge not to smoke today.  I will offer my other hand out to the next pledge...Colleen 791 DOF 

MarilynH

I'll very happily take your hand Colleen and pledge to remain Smokefree while EXtending my free hand to the next person in line. 

Marilyn 2394 DOF and smiling 

Kkplayhouse

Marilyn thanks for your hand as I too pledge to remain smoke free. I extend my other hand to the next exer pledging.

Gai.C

Good morning Everyone. Kkplayhouse‌ I'll take your hand.  I pledge not to smoke today or ever again.  I offer my hand to the next Ex in line 

Gai.C

Congratulations Nice Quit. 

Barbscloud

Good morning Gai.C  I gladly accept your hand and pledge not to smoke today.  Extending my hand to the next Exer pledging.

Barb

1056 DOF

DavesTime

Good morning, BarbBarbscloud! Thank you for your hand as I join you in pledging that I will not smoke today. Offering my free hand in support to our next pledge.

Dave

873 DOF