cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

2112miller

Give me the strength

Today is my 1st day of quitting smoking (Again)
I have been smoking off & on for over 50 years.
I'm done. I am sick of smoking.
Lord give me the strength this time

Labels (1)
17 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

He will give you the strength to do the work. Yes work.  It takes work to quit smoking. First you have to be willing to make a commitment to do whatever it takes not to take a puff no matter what is happening in your life NOPE not one puff ever.  Ask yourself. Are you willing to do that? Because that is the bottom line of a successful quit.  
Are you willing? click on this link and get started.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/sinao/blog/2019/08/25/are-you-willing?sr=search&searchId=0... If you are willing your are ready.  He will give you the strength. Not on your own willpower but on your willingness to let it go. 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  It is one you will never regret.  A successful quit takes more than strong will!  It takes education and a willingness to change up some things and to work at others.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you are using a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Maki

2112miller .. words to our ones ears . " I'm done .  I am sick of smoking "  I hear conviction in your words . I hope you feel as strong by saying them . Write those words down on paper , carry them with you .. they are powerful . I feel the power in you as you've written them .

Many have quit with as many years . I believe you will as well . 

You know , what will help you best , and all we can do is encourage and remind you of what you already know to be true. Smoking has taken so much from us but quitting can restore some healing . 

You know you made a great decision on your own . High five ! 

indingrl

Quit smoking Quit-smoking basics - Mayo Clinic 

No worries I tried stopping smoking TONS of times too - I am glad YOU are here

You are LOVED and YOU are NICOTINE FREE - WAY TO GO

Yay! The hardest part for me was to truly want to quit. I prayed and asked God to give me the desire to quit. For me, once I made that decision, the rest was work and fighting with myself. I’m not saying the process is easy, by any stretch of the imagination, but with determination and the right tools you can do it! You sound totally committed. You are ready! There’s so much information here about what to expect physically and how to fight the cravings. It does get easier, I promise. I’m on day 86 or 7 today after smoking 20 years the last time around. With God, all things are possible!

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s...2112miller 

You have the strength within and through your prayers...This is not an easy journey, but it is doable...it takes every minute finding something to do instead of smoking....it is know you may be uncomfortable with yourself until you feel better in you quit smoking body...it is healing your body and mind from all those chemicals for 50 years...it is hanging on to the Lifeboat here at Ex’s by asking for help and/or encouraging others on this journey...You took the first step ... you quit smoking...now do some work by reading at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... then find other things to do then smoke /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=6... .... keep a Quit tool box ready for those times you are in need....https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/250639-the-quit-kit?sr=search&searchId=014d6129-d886-45a7... And most of all, remember that a crave passes whether you smoke or not....so don’t smoke...we are here for you....Make Day 1 ... Day Won....~ Colleen 789 DOF 

elvan

One day at a time, NOPE, Not One Puff Ever! That got me through, l smoked for 47 years but have now been quit for over 7. It is s journey, welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to  the Ex and congrats on first day smoke free.  I smoked for 50 years and had many failed attempts in the past.  I am now approaching 3 years, so were are proof it can be done.  It takes work, but you can do it.  We're here for you, so just reach out anytime you need some support.

Barb

0 Kudos
2112miller

Thank you all for the encouragement !!!

This is what I need....I have not smoked a cigarette today...I will not smoke a cigarette today.

I am determined to be smoke-free !!!!