cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theAclub2308

How deal with stress when quit?

In conversations with my youngest teen, he said nic helps calm him.  He has been diagnosed with ADHD and has been adamant about not going back on  focalin.  So, what options can we think about besides nic that he can incorporate? 

Labels (1)
9 Replies
Maki

Sorry I haven't been following , you are trying to help your son quit vaping or smoking ? 

https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/four-things-people-adhd-should-know-about-smoking 

I would suggest excersise , walking , maybe meditation , cognitive behavioural therapy , yoga , calming music with a positive and calming influence . Not all music is appropriate . 

You can also check out what very well mind says about vaping , smoking and ADHD , or the mayo clinic . 

Hope this helps . 

Maki

When you speak of stress are you asking on his behalf how he can deal with stress or how you can because I'm sure it must be stressful,as well for you .. these are our kids .. again I suggest walking, detaching , giving yourself self care and love .

YoungAtHeart

The stress relief your son mentioned is only a relief from the stress CREATED by the last nicotine hit he received.  It is a self perpetuating cycle.  There is an adjustment period as the body adjusts to life without the drug, but after the first month or so, they will be LESS stressed, MORE patient and significantly more calm.  We ALL who have quit will attest to that.

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that they  first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time. That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I hope you will avail yourself of the materials we have suggested you read.  You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  They, though, are going to have to want to do it, because it does take some effort on their part in the early days.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind.  To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to help them get ready to quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. Recently vaping has been in the headlines because of the possibility of it causing severe lung damage in young people. An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm

I hope your sons will join you in wanting to break free!  Let us know how we might help further

Nancy

AnnetteMM

Are you in a state that legalizes weed? Perhaps an edible form would help.

theAclub2308

Ohio. Not sure about this avenue, but if it's legal and for medical purposes, just like a c monitor meds ECT,. I'm am very open!  Money and age comes to be a factor.  Both sons are 19 and under.  

Cousin-Itt

I'm from Southwest Ohio  Yes medical marijuana is legal with many shops thru out Ohio.   You still need to get a medical card before you can purchase.

Of course explain to your son nicotine is only produces a temporary relief

Here is a quick read that might help.

How to Calm Down: 15 Things to Do When You’re Anxious or Angry

www.healthline.com/health/how-to-calm-down

Wishing you the best

Carl

elvan

My husband was diagnosed with Adult ADHD several years ago.  He has been on many medications trying to find the one that works the best with the least side effects. I am not familiar with focalin but what are his issues with it? Have you spoken to his doctor to ask if he has any suggestions? I do think that the nicotine is helping him to focus until it wears off. YoungAtHeart  is correct, his stress is only relieved because he is an addict. 
Best to you & your sons,

Ellen

Barbscloud

I would also suspect smoking does calm him down temporarily as well as helping him to focus.  Is a doctor involved?   It does sound like they may be able to help.   Hope this works out for you.

Barb