cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Tali

Please help

Jump to solution

Is there any way I can get patches and lozenges its not going as planned for me.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community1

Mark wrote:
Some members here are sponsored and will see information in the Sponsorship area of Edit Profile | BecomeAnEX . If you do not see your Sponsorship as Active and a referring Health Plan or Sponsor then you'll need to seek assistance from an entity such as your state's quit line, health plan provider, employer, health care professional or county health department. If you think you should be sponsored but forgot to list your Employer and Health plan provider at registration, please use the Contact Us form to let me know.

800-QUIT-NOW is a good first step if you don't find yourself to be sponsored through us.

Keep in mind that you will be saving money when you quit by not buying cigarettes/vaping devices/pods, so getting NRT's should not have a huge impact on your budget

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
indingrl

Please ask Mark the BecomeanEX site manager

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community1

Mark wrote:
Some members here are sponsored and will see information in the Sponsorship area of Edit Profile | BecomeAnEX . If you do not see your Sponsorship as Active and a referring Health Plan or Sponsor then you'll need to seek assistance from an entity such as your state's quit line, health plan provider, employer, health care professional or county health department. If you think you should be sponsored but forgot to list your Employer and Health plan provider at registration, please use the Contact Us form to let me know.

800-QUIT-NOW is a good first step if you don't find yourself to be sponsored through us.

Keep in mind that you will be saving money when you quit by not buying cigarettes/vaping devices/pods, so getting NRT's should not have a huge impact on your budget

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Sootie

The 1 800 number YoungAtHeart‌ provided through Mark's quote is a good start. Also----you could try your American Cancer Society for referrals on patches.  We can help with support.....sometimes BETTER than a patch. Come to the site when you feel a craving and read and blog. Smoking is doing nothing for you....it did nothing for any of us.......it's an addiction and the sooner you can get free from it the better.

Welcome to EX---we are all here for each other.

Stay Strong.