cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Mguerrero

How can I say no to a cigarette

How can I quit by using the nicotine gum, and being able to say no to my next smoke. 

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
7 Replies
dsprague

Read all the literature you can find on smoking, also read this site, hundreds of voices saying quit, N O P E, life is more important than cigarettes, believe me.

dsprague

Think of the cigarettes and say out loud “ YOU WILL NOT CONTROL ME” tak over your life 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  There are numerous aids available to help with your quit - Nicotine Replacement, medications (Chantix & Welbutrin), nicotrol inhalers, etc.   Not matter which you choose, they are aids and you still have to do the work.   Begin by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and creating a quit plan.  These two steps will help you to say no to cigarettes.  Knowledge and preparation made it possible for me to be successful.   Pick a date and begin your journey.  We're here to support you.  Just reach out anytime you need support from other quitters.

You can do this one day at a time.

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to the EX community. A wise elder once told me that No means no in all languages. Firtst you have to make the commitment that you are willing to do whatever is necessary to not smoke. No matter what!.  Sounds easy right? No it is not but if you educate yourself about the addiction to nicotine and not take a single puff no matter what is happening in your life you can have true freedom.  Here are a few pointers to help you get a quick start. Talking about my EX this morning! NOPE not one puff ever.  Get rid of anything that is associated with smoking and say no more. "I don't do that anymore." ‌

MartyO

Welcome!

Really, you just have to dig your heels in and say NO MORE!  

You have to make up your mind that you will never smoke again.  

There is no magic formula.  This community and any support is extremely helpful to keep you focused on what is important.  

Each day it will become easier to not smoke and you will find yourself thinking about it less and less.  Just be strong and hold on tight until then.  

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

elvan

NOPE, Not One Puff Ever, l said nope countless times.

The nicotine gum won’t quit FOR you. You have to take this one day at a time, one crave at a time. Smoking does not help anything!

Ellen

0 Kudos
Troutnut1

I did it by just not smoking today. One day at a time. If I tell my brain we are quitting forever, it rebels. So I tell it a little white lie. That we can smoke tomorrow if we want to. But NOT today. And when I look at my watch, it’s always today.

I’m not quitting forever. I’m not tough enough. But anyone can quit for a day. My first day was 2/28/2001. I’ve been lying to my brain for almost 20 years now. And it still hasn’t caught on. We aren’t as bright as we once thought we were.

I also told it we weren't drinking, just for today, on 11/21/1998. And it hasn’t figured out that was a lie either. Hahaha! 

Your friend in Montana

Troutnut1(dennis)

Last puff 2/28/2001

Last drink 11/21/1998