cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kailir93

Today is my quit day...

I told myself i was going to quit vaping today. i want to, i really do. every time i buy a new pack of pods, i tell myself, “this is the last pack”, but that’s never been the case. i want to quit because i want to live a healthier lifestyle. i want to quit because i want to save the $22 that i spend on pods each time. i want to quit so i can stop feeling shameful of my habit. if i’m being completely honest with myself, i’m scared to quit. i know quitting isn’t gonna kill me, but i’m scared of the withdrawal symptoms. i’ve read online that withdrawal comes with symptoms of depression and anxiety. it’s the depression and anxiety that i’m terrified of. i’ve been in and out of counseling since i was 15 (i’m 20 now, soon to be 21). i’ve always struggled with my depression and anxiety even before i started vaping and i’m terrified the struggle will be worse following nicotine withdrawal. i want to quit but i’m struggling to find the strength within myself to do so. i’ve kept my nicotine habits a secret for so long. i’m worried i’ll feel extra irritated with people and when they ask why that is, i don’t want to say it’s because i’m going through nicotine withdrawal because everyone in my life would be surprised by it and i’m afraid to disappoint people. i want to quit.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
7 Replies
evanl

Kailiar93,

Congrats on wanting to quit!!  I have been a dipper for 35+ years, I have decided that I need to quit also. It is a tough battle...some of the people that I have shared my desire to quit with, didn't have a clue that was a dipper. (I must hide it well).  To be honest I have tried MANY times before, by myself without anyone knowing about my bad habit.  I have found that letting only your closest friends (those that wont judge, or make fun of you) know of your desire to quit, and are willing to help, are the best ones to tell. 

Good luck and remember you're not alone!

evanl

Barbscloud

Welcome.  Glad you found the Ex.  Read as much as you can to educate yourself about quitting and join the group of Exer's.

Barb

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...kailir93 

Glad you found our site...it is tough to quit an addiction, but it is doable...if you haven’t already read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... try and keep busy ... by drinking lots of water, take a walk and/or exercise, clean something, etc., you got the picture...the irritability is the withdrawal...and it takes time ... your body is healing...try and do breathing exercises for your irritability 

pastedImage_3.gif

Keep close to the support site...you are not alone ... we are here to help...you may also want to join the vape group https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/e-cig-users for extra help...hang in there...~ Colleen 784 DOF

0 Kudos
indingrl

Kailir93 DAY ONE - yahoooooo- thank YOU soooo much for sharing

Quit smoking Quit-smoking basics - Mayo Clinic 

Stay Quit | BecomeAnEX 

Coughing after quitting smoking: What's the deal? - Mayo Clinic 

Tips For The First Day You Quit Smoking, Vaping or Chewing 

Education is SUGGESTED to read and read and read to get YOUR personal QUIT TOOLS -  to stay a NON SMOKER - ONE day at a time and please keep blogging BEFORE you take ONE puff over you - please give us TIME to respond thank you 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome  kailir93 and evanl !

Although the delivery method is different, you are both addicted to nicotine.  This is far from a habit - it is both a physical and psychological addition.  kailir93 I would talk to your doctor about your anxiety and depression and your fears about it worsening when you quit.  They might be able to prescribe something to help you with that.  I believe it might be more difficult to break free from vaping than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each hit of nicotine, , note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a hit just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you used.  Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first hit  with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that need  rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape/chew if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a puff/hit" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Fear of quitting is common.  We use nicotine with every emotion and life event.  If you can remind yourself that's it's only for one day, it will help alleviate the fear.  With each new day your confidence will grow.  We're here for you.  Begin your journey and reach out anytime you need support.

Barb   

0 Kudos

Welcome! You sound a lot like how I felt about 7 months ago. I self medicated for anxiety and depression with cigarettes for a long time, and was terrified what would happen if I quit. I also hid my smoking from almost everyone in my life. I finally admitted I was using cigarettes for anxiety and depression to a doctor and we decided that trying Wellbutrin to help me quit was worth it. Maybe that's an option you can look into? It really helped me the first 3 months. It's still hard, but it made it manageable for me. Also, having support from this site saved me many times, since I didn't have many people in "real" life to support me because I had hid it. I just went past 200 days smoke free. I know you can do this! 

0 Kudos