cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Rosie1917

Sleepy?

Hi Chantix-ers! I just started day 8 with Chantix and I'm really glad it's a weekend because holy moly am I TIRED. Yesterday was my first day as a non-smoker, which is awesome. Anyone have any tips on combatting the sleepiness though? Like...its not a simple drowsy...I actually fell asleep drinking coffee - mid sentence.

Aside from the sleepiness, I love this quit aid and would recommend it to anyone.

Labels (1)
11 Replies
Barbscloud

Some folks can't sleep and other's sleep all the time when they first quit.   Just the normal techniques for sleeplessness can be utilized--exercise, meditation, turn off electronics (actually the TV on helps me fall asleep), limit caffeine, melatonin, etc.  It should pass with time. 

Congrats on day 2.  Keep moving forward.

Barb

Henry91942

So this is a real thing? Wow, so much changing with my body, mood everything. I would really have a hard time quitting if it weren't for the honesty and the thoughtfulness of the members to share what they are feeling with others. Truly we are in this together. Thank you! 

Rosie1917

Sleep irregularities are a normal part of quitting, yes. Nicotine is a stimulent, so some people react to the inital days with being tired. Cigarettes also cut off your body's oxygen supply and tighten blood vessels, so as the oxygen comes back and vessels open up, you feel a rush (it makes breathing really fun if you like that kind of think). 

This site has SO many resources on what changes your body goes through. Smoking poisons literally every cell of your body. It wrecks your hair even! If you're interested in the science behind it all, keep checking out the site. 

sweetplt

Rosie1917 Honestly, I was like you...I was so tired when I first quit smoking when so many couldn’t sleep.  I would rather the sleepy’s.  In the beginning, it was suggested to me here at Ex’s...to listen to my body...if I was tired, sleep/rest, etc., think about your body is healing from all those chemicals all those years...in time...you can combat it with creating energy, perhaps taking a walk, doing exercises, etc., ... remember “one day at a time”...you are doing it...your positive attitude will help greatly...keep it going...Colleen 783 DOF 

indingrl

Please CALL YOUR DOCTOR - YOU fell asleep drinking coffee in mid sentence - WE are NOT professionals - PLEASE CALL YOUR DOCTOR - thank you SOOOOO much

Varenicline (Oral Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic 

Barbscloud

Thanks indingrl .  I went back an reread this her post.  Drowsiness and trouble sleeping can also be a side effect from the Chantix.  So do check with your doctor if it continues.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Falling asleep midsentence is something to call your doctor about!  He might change up your dosage, or have you take it less often..........

That is not a normal reaction to either quitting or the medication!!!

Rosie1917

Thanks all!

I talked to my doctor (one positive thing about this pandemic is the virtual care-you can reach your dr now without having to wait a week!) and she said I will probably have a stronger drowsiness due to my autoimmune disease. She told me to only take the first half of my dosage for a week, and then we can increase it. And to moniter how I feel. Today I didn't fall asleep and the nausea was incredibly mild. And...I have only had 1 smoking thought today! Ps. I'm refusing to call it a craving anymore. I crave hugs and chocolate, not drugs and stink sticks. Thanks for the advice indingrl. ♡♡ ‌

Barbscloud

Glad you checked with your doctor and things are improved.  I'm glad indingrl posted about the Chantix.  I admit, I read your post too quickly--falling asleep in your coffee cup was not a good thing.

Barb