cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

8932xxd

did anyone else have anxiety and shortness of breath as their withdrawal symptom? its really freaking me out

wh

9 Replies
dsprague

Yes I did, easy to say but it does go away, all part of the withdrawal, just take some good deep breaths, and drink some water and it will pass. I think we have all gone through something similar. Best you can do is read up on the withdrawal symptoms and read what is said on this site and you can manage your way through it. We are all here for you.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The anxiety is probably creating the shortness of breath and is perfectly normal early in your quit.  Try this exercise to help with both:

b881c6f56a0a8d0ae384de7f7e4df726.gif

Here is a blog that outlines the early withdrawal symptoms: to help you know what is normal:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms?sr=se... .

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you are using a quit aid and I can give you my thoughts on them.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your quit.  Anxiety is a common withdrawal symptom.  As far as the shortness of breath, if it continues, I would check with a physician.

Glad you found us.  If you need support, just reach out.  

One day at a time.

Barb

sweetplt

Welcome to Ex’s 8932xxd 

I am happy you found our site...be sure to read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX Also, educate yourself about anxiety and breathing exercises...however, if you feel you are unable to cope, please speak to your Doctor...smoking will not help...I suffered from anxiety and many here have done the same...smoked through it...now you are having to learn to cope...I found prayer, meditation and breathing exercises along with a medicine have helped so much...please keep close to the support for help...we are here for you...let us know how things are going....Colleen 783 DOF 

0 Kudos
indingrl

anaussiemom

Yes it can definitely be from not smoking!! 8932xxd 

What are the side effects of quitting smoking?
Increased Feelings of Stress or Anxiety. This is particularly true with ex-smokers who used smoking as a form of relaxation. Few Chances for Deep Breathing. Shortness of breath after quitting smoking can also be caused by taking fewer deep breaths.
www.newhealthadvisor.org/shortness-of-breath-after-quit…

https://www.newhealthadvisor.org/shortness-of-breath-after-quitting-smoking.html 

Yes ! shortness of breath can be from quitting smoking, anxiety for sure too.

Your body is adapting. Please dont freak out it will be ok. Deep breathing helps a lot.

If it feels worse or to scary seek medical help, perhaps something else...

Everyone is here to help you maintain your quit.

I am 18 days quit and feel lots of shortness of breath these days. looking up info for you  has helped me as well!! ❤️

Blessings
~Kim

tyndallgw

Yes, I had this.  It was made worse when I had nasal congestion.  As people have indicated, it does get better with time.

green1611

No, never as withdrawal symptoms !

In fact after quitting, (though cravings were bad,) breathing was sensing much natural and pleasant .....

0 Kudos
elvan

Sounds as though the shortness of breath and anxiety are really connected and shortness of breath would make anyone anxious.  It should get better.  If it does not get better or if it gets worse, call your doctor and get checked out.  Your body has to adapt to being without the drug, nicotine.

Let us know how you are doing.

Ellen

0 Kudos