cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rosie1917

Terrified to Start

Hey! I am pretty much completely new to working out. I've always done it in small spurts. I've never had a very disciplined routine of it. That said, I did used to run track when I was a teenager and I took a weightlifting class too. I did enjoy those things, but as an adult I am extraordinarily lazy and bogged down mentally with life. I don't know how to start. 

I know being physically active will pretty much guarantee my quit is permanent. And so I obviously want to do that. But, when I put on my running clothes, I get so nervous to be seen at all that I turn back before I even open the door. I feel like my addiction KNOWS running will kill it, so it goes out of its way to stop me from doing something I enjoy. 

Does anyone else have any experience with something like this?

Labels (2)
11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You can't move a mountain in one day!  Start small, maybe with a YouTube exercise/walking routine in the privacy of your home?   Or a chair yoga, or a gentle yoga routine online?  THEN maybe just go for a walk around the block.  If you have not been active, it might not  be a good idea to start off running full tilt, anyway!

Just promise yourself you will do one active thing today. - you could even do some marching in place and toe touches.  Then a bit more tomorrow.  Soon you may find yourself feeling better, and it will be easier to be motivated to get going outside.

I actually look FORWARD to my mostly daily walks, and am bummed when the weather does not allow it.  You can get there - you just need to start slowly!

Let us know how you do!

Rosie1917

I'm going to take this advice and do some marching in place for about 15 minutes. Thank you!

Barbscloud

Just go for a walk.  You don't have to run to start off.  I always walked, but when I quit smoking and I had a craving, I would just walk out the door and go for a few blocks.  It's enough time to refocus your thoughts.

Barb

sweetplt

Like Barb above me...walking is the best form of exercise ... perhaps buy small weights and look for a beginners site on a short routine...starting out small and working towards a goal will help you ... ~ Colleen 

indingrl

I started out walking for 2 or 3 minutes thats all I could do at 275lbs - little TINY baby steps beginning in August of 2010 and I been walking step by step ever since - just sharing 

Sootie

Walking and weights are all I have time for on most days. Walking is great. Running can be a problem if you are not used to it...so start with walking. You don't have to go far......you build up as the days go by. Do not know where you live, but right now where I live it is too cold and snowy to go for long walks. Whatever moving you do is more than nothing!

YoungAtHeart

Forgot to mention we have a "Moving" blog that is current and we all note what we do each day....helps to keep us all motivated!!  Join us!

Update:  Glad you found us!  I will add the link in case anybody else reading might want to check it out:  Let's Get Moving Part 3 

Giulia

Whatever you choose to do, it should be fun.  And usually it is  - in the beginning.  But when you've done it for years and years, it's  boring as hell.  So it's important to find a variety of exercises that you find enjoyable.  When exercising become a "chore," we lose half the benefits of exercising.  It's not only good for our bodies, but good for our minds.  

And if I may just say (and this is my OWN thinking and obviously not yours but...) why are you concerned about what you look like when you're exercising???  It's not a fashion show.  If you're doing it right,, you're sweating.  And unless you're on camera and have a makeup artist to "tidy you up" - you're gonna drip.  And unless you have the perfect body, you're not gonna look like a model when you put on your running pants before or after.  I bike in the summer and see all these "perfect" bikers in their "perfect biking" outfits and I think... "Gee, they're pretty" - and I'm talking  about the guys here - the SERIOUS bikers)  And a part of me wants to go out and buy the nice biking shorts and matching tops and .... look like THEM,  like I'm a SERIOUS biker too!  But I'm not out there to look like anybody nor prove anything to anyone but myself.  I've seen fat people on the roads walking their butts off and I think "GOOD FOR YOU!"  And there are those that look at those same fat people and say, "What a joke, look at that poor fat slob, isn't that disgusting ..."  Who's view would you rather have and what value does it promote in you?  And why would you pay any attention to the one who demeans you?  Just sayin'.  

That your addicted brain is fighting it's demise is quite understandable.   (I wrote a little play about it:  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2016/09/06/a-quit-dialogue-in-iv-acts?sr=search&searchId=15e546f2-f080-4151-8f93-...‌ the head trip we play with ourselves.)    "I feel like my addiction KNOWS running will kill it, so it goes out of its way to stop me from doing something I enjoy." But don't you see you're ahead of the game by that very recognition.  You're absolutely right.  Don't play into it is all you need to do.  That Best of you know exactly what it needs to do.  Just follow it and not that other part.  Really.  Just keep aiming for that best part of you and you will never disappointed yourself.  And yes,  I know, a lot easier said than done.  That's why this takes work.  Both quitting and exercising and eating less... they all take a certain amount of self discipline.  Egad!

Rosie1917

Thanks Giulia. I guess I'm afraid of people laughing at me for working out. I get really nervous about pretty much everything...until I just do it. I get scared that people will see my in my running shoes as I leave my apartment, before I've even started, and laugh or judge me for trying to be better. And I wonder what other people do. And have to tell myself its ridiculous because no one just teleports into a sprint - they have to start somewhere, AND it's ridiculous for exactly the reasons you mentioned...the people who judge like that are horrible (and probably very miserable). There is no 'perfect' body. We are all perfectly imperfect, and that means me too. I might be tiny, but I'm not invisible and I shouldn't try to be. I'm going to keep this in my mind next time it's nice enough to go for a little morning jog around the block. 

I would love to read your play! ‌What a fun way to heal AND help others simultaneously.