cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancy

Are there any long term users? I've been on Chantix for 2 wks.

I've been on the med for 2 wks. Yes, I agree that I feel almost as crummy as I did while smoking(Where's my energy? Why am I still getting headaches? Why am I still outa breath and have a stuffy nose?) I figure I need to give more time. I also agree my moods are not great and I'm depressed and stuff. But I find that if I remind myself this is happening because of the meds and because I am not hanging out with the same people(well no one right now) it has a lot to do with it. I remind myself and force myself to get through this rough time. I think I made paperwork mistakes at work because of being on this medication . ( I lost my job over it too.:( ) I didn't know why I was making the mistakes cause I knew the paperwork but I kept doing the same wrong thing every time! So watch out for stuff like that! I didn't tell my employer or my doctor about this but I should have. I even walked out of work upset and crying and just didn't want to try and keep my job. DEPRESSION
If you are experiencing stuff that you don't think you can handle , tell your Doctor right away.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
patty3

All this in two weeks?

I have been on Chantix for over a month with no problems. If you are already depressed Chantix is not for you. If you are depressed, have lost your job, not hanging out with friends all because of Chantix I would say STOP taking it and see your Doctor.

I think you may have already been depressed and Chantix magnified it. As for your work I would guess there was already some kind of problem? No company would fire you for making mistakes for a week if you have been a good employee before that.
0 Kudos
nancy

I guess I forgot to metion that I had been on Chantix b4. In 2007. I had(in 2007) been on Chantix for over a month and I was making the same mistake for over a week. Like I said before it was also because I left work that day(upset and crying) and not asking to leave just telling them. Also I did not show up the next day or the next. And I did not call them or anything. That is my main reason I got fired. I don't blame the Chantix but I DO wish I wouldve spoken with the dr. more and my employer about being on the med.
Why are you even questioning me like that? Sounds like you've got a bad attitude. Maybe the Chantix is effecting you but you don't want to see it? Some people may get like this in a 2 wk. period.why would you question how they are affected by it? Oh and my quit date(This time) was 2 wks . I'm actually on three weeks total of being on the med this time.
0 Kudos
mary55

Hi Nancy, I have been on Chantix since Jan. and smoke free since beginning of Feb. Initially, i would have to say, I had no energy and had headaches, but nothing severe. I also felt down, but it went away quickly and I will be taking it for 6 months. The longer u are on it, the better chance u have of being smoke free. I do have a lot of gas.........lol. Now, do not worry about how long u take Chantix before u quit, cause I took it for a while before I quit. It is ok. You might just want to check with your doc to see if how u are feeling is ok. Take care and keep me posted as to how u are doing. Good Luck, you can do it!!
0 Kudos
nancy

Thanks! That's right, no one has discussed the terrible gas! And dang does it stink! I have so much I could prolly fuel my car(I wish) lol
0 Kudos
patty3

I have a bad attitude?

In your post you said "I think I made paperwork mistakes at work because of being on this medication . ( I lost my job over it too.:( )" Then in your reply, you said you lost your job because you left and did not go back for 2 days and did not call.

I understand that this is a hard time and am not here to argue with you.

We all have to take responsibility for our actions.

Good luck with your quit, I wish you all the success.
0 Kudos
scott-t

Nancy, has week number 3 been any eaiser? i hope so. after 4 wks on chnatix i just didnt get the refill of the scrpit and morached off on my own, not sure if any beeter but figure it was one less pill i had to take....

hope things are going better
0 Kudos
bike-run-hike

Quitting smoking is the reson for the mistakes. Your body is trying to get rid of the toxic chemicals which you have been ingesting. Please read my webbpage. I am sure it will help. It takesa g ood two amd a half weeks for the Chantix to really kick in. Take your "evening" dose at around 3 rather than later in the eveening. Get Valerian to help you sleep. The Chantix can cause that but also stopping smoking does too. Lemon juice in water helps remove the toxins. You will need to stay on the Chantix for a minimum of 90 days. It is best to stay on for that amount of time for your body to get over not just the toxins, but the habit. Read the side effects and know them. If you should happen to have one, you will know how to deal with it. My friend smoked for 38 years. She did the Chantix for 4 months. She's been smoke free for 8. Breath deep too. Smokers arent used to breathing air! Read my page, read my page read my page! Good luck and God bless to all.
0 Kudos
bike-run-hike

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke. Forty-three known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both.

It's chilling to think about not only how smokers poison themselves, but what others are exposed to by breathing in the secondhand smoke. The next time you're missing your old buddy, the cigarette, take a good long look at this list and see them for what they are: a delivery system for toxic chemicals and carcinogens.

Cigarettes offer people only a multitude of smoking-related diseases and ultimately death.

The List
http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm

That's the list of what's in cigarettes. Take a good look at the blue ones. Go to the herbalist. She can help you with withdrawal. Every town or city has a health store. I don't mean GNC. An herbal store. Read my page too!
0 Kudos
cynthia5

Nancy i too have a BAD gas......it's can get so bad that you dont want to be around ppl.
i keep taking the chantix and WONT give up , this is somthing i have to do for myself not for others.
I want to LIve today tomorrow and every day after that.
I do not seem to have any depression nor do i have any problem sleeping as not sleeping much has been a part of my life all my life.
I take amben if needed at night.
I do take my evening chantix about 5to 6pm.
It is hard on my tummy but hey if thats what it takes to become a ex smoker then so be it .....IT WONT LAST FOR EVER.
heck after 4 to 6 ms i will be free of the pills and smokes and be on my way to a healther life.
maybe i can fix what i did to my body by smoking all them years....plus the money i save is great too lol
hope the best for everyone and please remember if u do slip up and smoke it's not the end of the world ..you can always start all over again.
0 Kudos